Getting a Seicento with engine problem

I'm being given a Fiat Seicento this week but it has an engine problem - apparently it keeps losing a spark plug. Note I've not seen the car yet.

Any ideas why this might be?

Are there any other issues with these to consider. It's a 2000 model and I'm guessing it's the 899cc one.

Thanks.

David

Reply to
David Lane

We used to have a Fiat Uno (virtually the same engine). We had the same.=20 I *think* it was down to a head gasket problem (it kept eating them). I=20 know we should have had it skimmed, but when it blows 100 miles from=20 home, at the side of the road, with no breakdown cover, it's easier to=20 spend 2 hours and =A318 on a head-set, than pay for a tow.

(In retrospect, it would have been cheaper to torch it and dump it off a=20 cliff!)

Pete.

--=20 NOTE! Email address is spamtrapped. Any email will be deleted Remove the news and underscore from my address to reply by mail

Reply to
Pete Smith

We used to have a Fiat Uno (virtually the same engine). We had the same. I *think* it was down to a head gasket problem (it kept eating them). I know we should have had it skimmed, but when it blows 100 miles from home, at the side of the road, with no breakdown cover, it's easier to spend 2 hours and £18 on a head-set, than pay for a tow.

(In retrospect, it would have been cheaper to torch it and dump it off a cliff!)

Pete.

Thanks - I'm getting it on Tuesday evening and thought that might be the issue.

David

Reply to
David Lane

"David Lane" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net:

Screw it in properly, then it won't fall off :-)

Reply to
Tunku

Nope - I've got the car and the internal thread's missing. Hopefully a Helicoil kit will do.

David

Reply to
David Lane

"David Lane" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net:

Doesn't belong to a young bloke called Peter does it? ;-)

Reply to
Tunku

The message from Tunku contains these words:

Give it a shake and see if it rattles - that'll tell you.

Reply to
Guy King

Found the cause of the problem - spark plug insert missing.

Cost of repair: £5.

Not bad for a car off Freecycle.

David

Reply to