Clanking noise coming from under my Tundra DC

I own a 2004 Tundra DC 2w drive with vehicle stability control. When going over bumps in the road over about 2 inches high or 2 inches deep, I hear a muffled clanking sound coming from underneath somewhere. (I want to say coming from the suspension, but since I don't know that for sure at all, I'll go with "underneath somewhere".) It is in rhythm with the wheel going up and down. (IOW - if you watch the wheel going up and down while going over these kinds of bumps, the clanking is heard at the top and bottom of the travel.) What it sounds like to me is if there was a piece of metal (heavy, like a casting) on a rod that was able to move freely up and down on the rod, with a metal stop at the top and bottom. (Wheel goes up "clank" wheel goes down "clank".)

Here's the weird part, if I hold the brake on slightly as I'm going over these bumps that would normally make the clank happen, there is no noise. Get off the brake, go over that same bump, it clanks.

The service manager has put in _a lot_ of time on this, I have to say that the messages I've read about lack of service at Toyota dealerships doesn't apply here. They've torqued everything that they think could move when the wheels go up and down, and replaced a tie rod. No joy. He and I are going back out with a mechanic tomorrow and drive over a couple bumps I've found near the dealership that cause the noise.

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, wild-ass-guesses about what this may be. I would appreciate it!

TIA,

grant

Reply to
Grant Baxter