no MTBE fuel????

What gas stations do not carry MTBE in their fuels... I mean if it doesn't do anything, to the engine, causes cancer by seeping into water, etc... what large brand Gas can I goto?

Reply to
<har_hoang

anything, to the engine, causes cancer by seeping into water, etc... what large brand Gas can I goto?

Shell and 76.

--------------------------------------------------- "America has authentic values, and even politicians should be held accountable for knowing what these values are." - Paul M. Rodriguez {}

Reply to
Eric Dreher

Depends where you are. In western states, Unocal (Union 76) boasts "No MTBE" on big banners at their stations...

Of course, they developed a patented method to phase out the MTBE, and got the state & federal governments to mandate a change to reformulated gasoline, and now there are patent licensing squabbles - Some refiners licensed the patents, others are challenging their validity... Go read their take on it:

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Unocal is no longer Union76. Unocal is basically just crude oil exploration and production.

"Unocal is one of the world's leading independent natural gas and crude oil exploration and production companies. The company's principal oil and gas activities are in North America and Asia."

Unocal sold the Union76 brand refining and marketing business to Tosco Corp. a few years back, and Tosco recently sold out to ConocoPhillips Corp.--Union76 is one of ConocoPhillips' brands, as are Kendall, Conoco, Phillips, and CircleK.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Very interesting. I was wondering what was up with 76 moving toward a more "budget" target market and being combined with CircleK stores.

Union76 used to be a premium fuel... my '69 LeSabre would ping on anything except 76 premium... any other brand required an octane boost, even though the fuel octane ratings were the same.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Well doesn't _that_ just suck? Union 76 used to be my 2nd favorite, right behind Chevron Custom Supreme. Those were the only two that would run in my Ford, with 12:1 compression, without pinging.

Over all the years I stayed with those two brands until recently, when prices got so high and I switched to Costco.

Now I don't feel so bad about that decision.

Tom S

Reply to
Tom S

When prices got to over $2.10 I dropped back to midgrade for my Tundra (Wells Fargo has a single-purchase limit of $50 for gas on my debit card), but I generally stick with Chevron... Mobil if I'm low and it's not convenient to head to my office (cheapest Chevron around). If I run Mobil for more than 2 or 3 tanks I'll throw in a bottle of Techron.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

i try to buy gas only from which it was refined from oil that is either US oil or is not imported from Arab nations. i no longer support terrorists by buying their gasoline.

do anything, to the engine, causes cancer by seeping into water, etc... what large brand Gas can I goto?

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Good luck trying.

--------------------------------------------------- "America has authentic values, and even politicians should be held accountable for knowing what these values are." - Paul M. Rodriguez {}

Reply to
Eric Dreher

And how exactly do you determine this?

I mean, I generally don't buy from Exxon...but that's pretty easy to do...big sign says EXXON. Buying non-OPEC gas is a bit tougher...

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

Another ridiculous statement by an uninformed consumer. Why don't you tell us where you are buying your gas from that isn't imported?

If you want to buy gas that doesn't have MTBE in it find a station selling ethanol based gas, but it is a poison if spilled.

Reply to
Are you Nuts

Too true.

Any gasoline is considered a haz-mat if spilled.

----------------------------------------------- "Character is that which reveals moral purpose, exposing the class of things a man chooses and avoids." - Aristotle

Reply to
Eric Dreher

The info is out there. Just look before you flame.

SHRED

There are records of any spill over 15 gallons

John Anderson

Reply to
John Anderson

Haz-Mat or Hazardous Material is classified by the flash point, flammability and reactivity, poisonous is really a different classification.

Reply to
Are you Nuts

Being only poisonous doesn't exclude it from being haz-mat. And I'm guessing that "reactivity" includes bio-waste; also a haz-mat.

----------------------------------------------- "Character is that which reveals moral purpose, exposing the class of things a man chooses and avoids." - Aristotle

Reply to
Eric Dreher

it can be imported, just not from terrorist sponsoring nations.

i agree it's a hard thing to do. i'll dig up the list and post.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

i believe Hess buys from no arab nations. i do not believe that all arab nations support terrorism, but lots of their money somehow gets traced back to terrorist activities !!!

Kryptoknight

You are not going to find a major retail outlet that you can buy gas from that isn't imported. Refineries buy from many different sources to meet their needs. There are no retail outlets in America that sell US gas only, there is no such thing.

Reply to
Are you Nuts

i did not say "US oil only".

Reply to