Fast idle at startup

Hi

2006 Tacoma, 4 cyl 2.7 liter, 5 spd manual, 4500 ft elevation, California.

When I cold start the engine the RPM goes to 2000 + and doesn't drop to less than 1500 for about 30 seconds. It annoys me. Is there a fix?

Thanks

Reply to
Beto

It's normal. The computer controls the idle speed.

Reply to
Mike

But I don't like and don't think it's good for the engine. Normal... Do all Toyota do it?

Reply to
Beto

Many new vehicles of ALL brands do similar things.

It's emission related, trying to warm the engine up more quickly.

Reply to
B A R R Y

2K 4R LTD...I adjusted my linkage for a 650 rpm warm idle with the AC off. Now on startup it goes to 1600, then immediately drops to 1400, then 1000 when shifted into gear.

Ron

Reply to
Ron(Tx)

My '06 Tundra V8 does the same thing. Starts at a high idle, and gradually tapers off if you sit there in park for a minute. Appears to be programmed to to that.

Reply to
Mike W

As I recall the owners manual wants me/you to drive as soon as the engine is started. Must be a good clunk with auto transmission. With my manual it means I must slip the clutch.I did find an "adjustment" screw on the throttle body cover that was encapsulate in some clear epoxy or stuff. Anyone have an ideal what that screw does?

No linkage to adjust that I can find. Think it's a electronic control. Beto

Reply to
Beto

Reply to
Bill

They made 4cyl Tacos in 06? I guess its not 4x4?

I have an 03 XtraCab, 4cyl 4x4. When cold, mine idles high til warmed up. I don't usually wait for it to warm up before moving. I'll drive in neutral down my street and let it warm up abit before hitting the main road. Nothing like utilizing my time to the extreme haha

Reply to
Brad P

There are 2005+ 4cyl. 4x4 standard and Access Cab Tacos.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Hi

2006 Tacoma, 4 cyl 2.7 liter, 5 spd manual, 4500 ft elevation, California. When I cold start the engine the RPM goes to 2000 + and doesn't drop to less than 1500 for about 30 seconds. It annoys me. Is there a fix? Thanks

lol! You sound just like me :-) It's my truck and I want it to run and sound the way *I want it to run and sound. My husband's a mechanic. Every time he tells me "that's normal, leave it". I say, "But I don't like it, make it work my way!" Amelia

Reply to
Amelia