Low RPM during startup, please help.

Hi. Usually in colder weather when you start a cold engine, the RPM should hover around 1800-2000, then starts to drop as the engine warms. Once I start my car the RPM remains at around 1100. It never goes higher. Anyone knows why? Choke issue? Thanks. BTW, mine is a

2001 CE, auto trans. Has about 115000 km on it.

Toyota Corolla

Reply to
gaston

Did the car idle at higher RPM when cold and since lose its high idle or did you recently acquire the car?

I assume that your car is fuel-injected, and if so, it does not have a choke. Instead of a choke, the car uses a coolant temperature sensor to tell the computer whether the engine is warmed up or not and then the computer adjusts idle speed as necessary.

Some things to check are the air filter; intake tube between the air filter housing and throttle body for holes, leaks, or cracks; and idle air control valve.

Reply to
Ray O