fuel injector cleaner

i recently bought a 98 4runner with 95k miles (has 98k now) and am just curious if there are any precautions to use this stuff? i picked up a bottle of stp injector cleaner but am wondering if this can have any negative effects on the engine or am i just paranoid?

thanks, tlf

Reply to
tlf

I prefer Chevron Techron FI cleaner (Target carries it) - Add it ever 6 months or so - cures stumbling caused by dirty injectors.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Not paranoid, maybe too something else. Use Chevron Techron regularly. Every 3 months is fine.

You really need a good mechanic. You have a timing belt to change or check. Change the water pump while you have the engine apart. Replace spark plugs, check the wires with a scope. Change the coolant and flush the brake lines. Look at the brake lining, grease the u-joints, replace all belts and the battery.

Oh, if you have injector problems, take them all out and send them out to get rebuilt.

Reply to
dirty rat 753

tlf schrieb:

Buy Iso-Propylene-Alcohol 100%. Add up to 5% to the Fuel. Takes away water in the fuel system and cleans through. Costs abt. 3US$ per litre and may be available at larger printing shops. Take a nose of it and then of some expensive 'cleaners' and you'll be enlighted on how to make money ;-)

Axel

Reply to
Axel Hammer

Where do you recommend sending injectors to 'be rebuilt.' I sent an email to RC Engineering in CA but they did not respond. Supposedly, they do a top-notch evaluation and clean job.

Does your place actually rebuild the injectors or simply clean them and test them? Your email is the first time I have heard mention of injectors being rebuilt. But, I have done no intense research on the matter.

Tks,

Luther

Reply to
Luther

thanks for all the tips - not currently having any problems, just wanting to do some preventative maint.

i'll also have the maint. issues that rat mentioned checked out too.

thanks again!

-tlf

Reply to
tlf