Ignition Timing 89 truck with 3 Liter Engine

My 89 truck did not have any power at all so i replaced the spark plugs, ignition wires, Dist. cap/rotor and the air cleaner element. None of this cured the problem, I then noticed that the dist was rotated completely to the stop (clockwise) I hadn't noticd the prior setting but this didn't look right. I loosened the tie down bolt and rotated the dist and adjusted by ear (have no timing light) It runs best in the full counterclockwise position. Any ideas as to whether this will be advanced? I plan on putting a light on it as soon as can but don't want to damage the engine in the meantime.

Thanks Vic

Reply to
OldGuru

Check the manual...it tell you how to "static time" the engine...it will get you close enough untill you can get to a timing light. "static timing" involves bringing the crank to TDC, removing the dist cap and rotating the distributor to line up the trigger vanes for the ignition for X amount of degrees either before or after TDC, depending on what the specs call for.

Reply to
Noon-Air