'89 22RE Ignition Timing

I just installed new filters, rotor, dist cap, and plugs. Then I tried setting the timing as per the VECI tag on the hood. It calls for shorting Test and EC1 ports on the diagnostics connector (a test connector) and 5 deg BTDC at 850RPM. Before I did anything, I checked it and it was around 14 deg. I set it at 5 deg but the engine has no power then. The test connector doesn't seem to have any effect at all. Setting the timing back to 14 deg at idle, I rev the engine while watching the timing mark, and it drops almost to 0 before picking back up and advancing beyond 14 deg. This seems strange, is it normal? Is there a vacuum hose that needs to to plugged to set timing or how do I do it? The damn Haynes book I have is useless. Thanks, chuck

Reply to
cjensen

If you short test and E 1 and the timing doesn't change it is often because the TPS is set incorrectly. It has to tell the computer it is at idle before it will set timing back to base idle. so loosen screws on TPS (throttle position sensor till it shows probable 0.5 volts or so, or just turn it a little in the right direction and tighten it then short connector and see if timing changes (you can usually hear the difference in engine speed.

Reply to
edmechanic

Thanks edmechanic, I get about 1 volt VTA to GND so it is too high. Also the IDL contact may not be closing. With the voltmeter between IDL and GND I get over 5 volts. When I do this it definitely retards the engine and the timing was a few degrees ATDC. I need to find a special offset philips to loosen the lower screw on the TPS.

Reply to
cjensen

Update.. I remember having fiddled with the throttle plate adjusting screw to set idle a long time ago. I left the TPS alone and turned this adusting screw back until the IDL to GND contact closed. This retarded the timing and RPM. I reset RPM with the correct idle adjustment screw. Shorting Test and E1 brought the ignition to base timing as expected and I was able to set the 5 deg BTDC as required. Runs great now. Thanks again edmechanic, you pointed me in the right direction.

Reply to
cjensen

You know how I found out this little bit of information. Well I have a 89 Toy truck, 2.4L and couldn't set it because I was doing a pre smog tune up. I worked part time at a part time auto shop. So I figured my distributor was off so I played around with that. That didn't work so I spent 150 for a timing gear set and changed the chain. Well that didn't help and I finally read about the TPS on a web site. Boy I felt stupid, but I learned about that and it works for all old toyotas, so pass it along before they waste 2 days changing the chain.

Reply to
edmechanic