Improving MPG

I have a 2002 Tacoma DoubleCab with an Auto tranny. I used to be able to go about 320 miles on a tank of gas. Now I can only get about 270. Any ideas on how to remedy this problem? Most of the miles I drive are on the highway, so my problem is not stop/go or being a leadfoot.

Brian

Reply to
B Conner

Whenever I buy a used vehicle, and during the life of a new one I perform the list below.

I run fuel injector cleaner through the fuel system one tank before each oil change and I change my oil about every 2000-2500 miles.

You will probably find out whay you're losing efficiency if you do the following (i do them more often than the owner's manual says): a) Change air filter b) Change fuel filter c) Change tranny filter and fluid d) Change oil/filter and add a quart of "Rislone" then at next change add a quart of "DuraLube", (do that about once a year, in addition to regular oil changes) e) Check tire pressure f) Make sure your emergency brake isn't sticking, also make sure you don't have a sticking caliper g) Pull out your spark plugs, get a Chilton's or Haynes repair manual and compare each plug with the photo chart provided in the book, it'll tell you what to do. h) Check your plug wires and make sure none are arcing to chassis ground, (run the engine in the dark and have someone rev the engine while you inspect).

Finally, about every 18 months have your brake fluid purged, and flush the cooling system.

I've done all these things for years and years and I tend to get about

250,000 miles out of every vehicle without any major problems.

Good luck! Dave

Reply to
nospam

Speed, fuel filter and winter climate fuel will all affect mileage.

I have an 02 Tundra V-8 that during the summer gets around 18.5mpg and about a mile less during the winter months. Also have a 98 Olds that mileage dropped down to around 22-23 on trips that once a new fuel filter was installed jumped up to 28-30. Have also heard from others that their mileage suffers during the winter months so go figure.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Check to see if your area has switched to oxygenated fuels, with either Ethanol, Methanol or MTBE mixed into the gasoline. Less gasoline and more oxygenate in the mix means less overall thermal energy, which means lower fuel mileage.

In California everyone saw a mileage drop like that when they switched the fuel over. We're stuck with it year-round in many areas.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I have a '92 Toyota pickup w 22re motor.

I consistently got 29.6 mpg. ( i have a log book and have kept records since new.)

This fall it dropped to about 27.

I Changed the spark plugs, changed the air filter, run injector cleaner through, not result.

I put the tire pressure at 36 psi, and it went back up.

BTW, I left the gas cap off, last time I filled up, and gas mileage went up again, but the check engine light came on.

Discovered this this am, and am waiting to see if check engine light will go off.

Did I do any harm to the car?

92 toy, 280,000 miles j.
Reply to
Into the living sea of waking