2005 Taco 4.0L MPG

Just wanted to solicit opinions from other Tacoma drivers. I had a 2003

3.4L 4WD TRD O/R 5-spd until a 40' Poplar decided to crush it. Over 38,000 miles I averaged 18.7 MPG (yes, I'm bored enough to track each tank). I have just over 4,000 miles on the 2005 4.0L 4WD TRD O/R 6-spd, drive the same distance/style/time of day/tire pressure/etc and have averaged 16.5 MPG (yep, still tracking). I know it's bigger and more powerful, but the 2003 was rated at 16/20 and the 2005 at 17/20 so it should be doing roughly the same, right? I tried the octane test; ran 87 for the first ~3,000 miles, upgraded to 93 since-absolutely no difference so I don't buy the knock sensor/timing argument that many talk about. What mileage are others seeing?
Reply to
CER

My 2005 4.0L SR5 4WD 5 speed auto gets about 21MPG in mixed city / highway driving. I run the middle grade of Shell. There's a little drop when I really run it harder but I'm a fairly "tame" driver (not slow but not street racing by a long-shot)

Reply to
JSR

Mileage will improve after 6k miles or so - when tollerances ease up a bit. Winter gas is formulated for less pollution and that decreases gas mileage too.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I have the 2004 SR5 4x4 extra cab V-6 that gets 19-20mpg between work trips so far after 11k. On long road tripsive gotten 21mpg pretty regular.

Reply to
Steve

just put the first 200 miles and have aaveraged just under 21 mpg so far so good

Reply to
thomas e donnelly

like 14 then, as it broke in (now hs 9000 miles) it has jumped up to

18.5 and I hit 19 on one tank of highway driving. This was interstate and no wind running 70 with cruise on. I imagine yours will improve as it wears in. >
Reply to
Bill Little

I am really struggling with a Tundra purchase. Access Cab SR5.

2001-2003

Do I really need the V-8? I've heard you need to use supreme in this engine, plus the fact that it gets 4 mpg less than the 6, plus the added cost of a V8 equipped ($1,200-1,500 more).

I don't expect to off-road much if ever, I will use it to haul stuff to my home from Home Depot/Lowes, but will rarely trailer anything, certainly not heavy trailering.

Will the V6 suffice? Will I regret it when I drive it? Will I regret it when I go to sell it?

Thanks from a die-hard Toyota fan, trying to talk myself into the right engine.

Reply to
tmgnwa

I had a 2000 TRD Access Cab Tacoma with a V-6, it did everything I asked of it including hauling a loaded car trailer (mpg dropped to 10 mpg). If you think you need a V-8 I'd go with a Tundra. If you feel you want to off-road I'd go with a Tacoma. I recently upgraded to a 2004 Tundra Access Cab with a V-8, run regular 87 octane gas and don't regret the upgrade. You have a ton more room plus a real rear seat that people can actually use. The Tundra has a 26 gallon tank which will get the same miles per tank as the 16 gallon Tacoma tank... city I can get about 300 miles per tank and highway a little over 400.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud