In-dash CD changer for '04 4Runner?

I just purchased an '04 4Runner SR5. It comes with a AM/FM/Cassette/CD player standard, but I'd like to augment (or replace) it with a changer. When I asked about a 6-disc changer during my price negotiation, the dealer presented the cargo-mounted unit as my only option. Needless to say, after he quoted me $700+ for it, I decided to go with an after-market changer.

Since then, I've discovered that there's an 6 disc in-dash factory changer available (according to the Toyota Web site

However, Ican't tell from the photo whether the factory changer can be added to mystock stereo (and if so, where it would be installed), or whether I'd haveto replace the stock stereo with a different factory model. Has anyone purchased this changer as an accessory for the 4Runner? Any recommendations for after-market changers for the 4Runner? One that I could install in-dash or in the glove compartment would be great.

Thanks, Darryl R.

Reply to
DarrylR

Do you have the std "deluxe" radio or the JBL with 10 speakers? It looks just like the JBL single disk unit --- but takes 6 CDs in the same single slot. I have it in an 03 Camry. It also does text readout of the station your are on and the song playing (if they transmit it). Plus it gives you traffic reports. Think the retail difference in price is $250 over the single unit. Its optional on all 4Rnr models. I just added a JBL 12 CD RF changer to my 03 4Rnr -- it also plays MP3s. Finding a place to mount it was a problem --- big vehicle with little spare room! RF is not as good of sound quality as direct feed though.

Reply to
Wolfgang

The Camry and the 4 Runner use completely different radios.

An 04 4 Runner will exchange with an 04 Sequoia.

Reply to
Masterson

Wolfgang,

I've got the standard 6 speaker AM/FM/CD Player stereo (no JBL). After some research, I'm leaning toward installing a Sony CD/MP3 changer with built-in FM modulator (CDX-565MXRF). The one concern I have is installation, specifically connecting to the FM antenna. I guess the difficulty will depend on the accessability of the FM antenna lead.

So my question now is how accessible is the antenna lead? I know that the in-glass FM diversity antenna is in the rear glass. Does that mean that there's a lead that I can tap into somewhere in the cargo area? If not, will it require disassembling the dash to gain access to the FM antenna input?

Thanks, Darryl R.

Reply to
DarrylR

Thanks. Was your RF problem with a wired RF modulator (one that is patched into the FM antenna lead) or a wireless one?

I'm considering the Sony CDX-565MXRF CD/MP3 changer, which has a built-in FM modulator. I'm hoping that I won't have a problem with this changer. If I do, though, what did you use to amplify the RF signal?

Darryl R.

Reply to
DarrylR

I used wired RF modulator to back of radio. After removing both sides of dash I was able to pull the radio trim back 3", undo radio bracket, and pull radio slightly out so I could remove the antenna lead and plug in the modulator. Suspect the center console has to come out to remove the radio. There was NO way to get fingers behind and simpley unplug/plug in the modulator.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Thanks, Wolfgang. I'll let you (and the group) know how this pans out. -DKR

Reply to
DarrylR

Wolfgang, BTW, where did you get the dash disassembly instructions? I'd like to get a reliable set of instructions before I do anything more than taking off the bottom dash panels. -DR

Reply to
DarrylR

I would pass on anything from Sony in Car Audio. Their products are poorly built, and usually have lots of problems. In the past few years Sony have been running off their name and their products have become pretty much junk. I run a car audio discussion board, and we get so many people with Sony products who all of a sudden their equipment just stopped working. So I would stay away from Sony.

I would look into Alpine, or Pioneer (Premier Line), Clarion, maybe even Eclipse?

Just wanted to warn you before you purchased the sony gear.

if you want to stop by and check out past Sony posts, you'll see what i'm talking about.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Doyle

Thanks, Chris. -DR

Reply to
DarrylR

Daryl,

Not sure if this will help or not. Check here,,,

They have interfaces for some aftermarket changers w/ OEM headunits

Ivan

I've got the standard 6 speaker AM/FM/CD Player stereo (no JBL). After some research, I'm leaning toward installing a Sony CD/MP3 changer with built-in FM modulator (CDX-565MXRF). The one concern I have is installation, specifically connecting to the FM antenna. I guess the difficulty will depend on the accessability of the FM antenna lead.

So my question now is how accessible is the antenna lead? I know that the in-glass FM diversity antenna is in the rear glass. Does that mean that there's a lead that I can tap into somewhere in the cargo area? If not, will it require disassembling the dash to gain access to the FM antenna input?

Thanks, Darryl R.

Reply to
Ivan Lopez

DarrylR

Roger that on Sony stuff - Had a CD changer that kept giving error codes - was the one time I took out extended warranty from Best Buy. They said it was not fixable and to pick out a new one -- got JVC instead and have never had prob with it.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Did without instruction but have since gotten 2 vol shop manuals. Here's quick instr - remove insrtu panel finsih plate (lower piece under steering wheel), remove sub assembley (metal corss piece ), remove instuement cluster finisn panel sub assemble (around the gauges -- Know I didn't touch that!), remove console upper rear panel sub-asbly, remove console panel, sub-asbly upper, remove AC control assembly (1 screw in bottom - 4 clips), Remove radio cluster finish panel (3 bolts and 8 clips). I didn't remove console -- only got radio surround out enough where I could plu radio couple inches out and undo/redo antenna). Even lost clip on left side - and had to order from dealer to get piece to fit tight.. Was scary pulling on plastic on new $30+k vehicle --- I wouldn't attempt it when its cold out side.

Reply to
Wolfgang