Leaking waterpump??

is it common to replace the water pump when you do the timing belt?

I have my truck down at the dealers today, and it looks like its turning out to be a really expensive day. decided to have the timing belt replaced, they got the cover off and said that the water pump was starting to leak, .. apparently the shaft drive starts to bore out the water pump..????? that's what I was told at least. the truck has 140,000 on it and has never had anything replaced before, so, I can understand that few parts might start to fail. is this normal? 140,000 for a water pump? (my old Oldsmobile ate 3 before

120,000 so, I guess that its not too bad) I never saw any leakage, nor did I notice much of a lower lever of antifreeze

thoughts??

Dave

Reply to
JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk

THere is a weep hole under the water pump shaft that leaks if coolant is getting past the seal. Once that seal starts to go, the bushings get washed clean of oil and the pump will eventually fail. Good time to change the pump, its all torn down and all you have is the cost of the part. No additional labor and that's a job that is mainly labor if you need to do it later.

-- Roger

Reply to
Roger Brown

Thanks

I did have them replace the water pump, it is somewhat relaxing to know that others would recommend doing the same rather than listening to the word of the service advisor who I don't know

Dave

Reply to
JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk

Reply to