longblock quality?

I just picked up a rebuilt longblock ($975.) and was questioning the quality of the parts and possibly the workmanship. They are using what looks to be a cheap plastic chain guide(hollow on the backside) and the gasket kit looked to be sub-standard. I wondering my money would be better spent on just having my core cleaned up, maybe a valve job and resurface and buying a good rebuild kit and doing it myself or having someone do it with the good parts. cost estimates head/valve job 150. block bored 100. rebuild kit 275. misc stuff 100.

total 625.00

Whats everyones opinion? thanks in advance

Cheap headgaskets are bloody worthless. Why shops choose to "save" money with cheap gaskets baffles me.

The engine blew in my 85 1-ton, and I had it replaced while in Oakland CA. The engine lasted just long enough for me to get back to Seattle. About 1000 miles. I got my money back from those jerks after threatening them with a lawsuit. The next engine I put in was a professionally rebuilt engine with a warrantee for 60,000 miles.

The headgasket blew at 20,000 miles and the engine shop paid to have my

22REC repaired because they had gotten a bad batch of headgaskets that had all blown in the same way. All covered by warrantee.

After 80,000 miles that engine just died 3 weeks ago. Now I am going to rebuild it , or another core, myself for the first time. Top of the line parts all the way.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler