Need helpwith hitch and wiring 2000 Tundra

Hi, I have a 2000 Tundra Limited and really need to put a receiver hitch on it. I've looked online and found a Hidden Hitch at Performance Products for $140 and a Hidden Hitch Trailer Wiring kit for $36. But when I look at genuine Toyota stuff, places like Brandsport.com have a Toyota hitch for $280 and a wiring harness (#08921-34860) for $91 then they list two wiring fuse boxes (#PT220-34012) for $24 or (#PT220-34990) for $44. What do I really need? My current utility trailer does not have brakes just lights but I may have boat trailer in the future that will have brakes. Are the Toyota parts worth the extra or should I just goto U-Haul? Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Guay

check around the automotive stores... you can buy a trailer harnes that plugs into the factory brake light wiring for most vehicles for $35.00 or less.

You ought to be able to find a class 3 hitch for $200 or less for your truck.

Reply to
Elbert

Hidden Hitch is one of the brand names of TriMas Corp., which also owns Draw-Tite, Reese, SurePull, Tekonsha, Wesbar, Fulton, and makes parts for U-Haul.

The Hidden Hitch receiver will work fine. Note that the wiring kit for 2000 is different than for later years.

There are two parts to the wiring, and you need one. You need the converter for the lights. You do not yet need the fuse and connector for the charging wire that recharges the trailer battery, because you don't have a trailer with a battery. There is not kit to connect a brake controller...you do all that yourself.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton