Need new engine - learn from me

Due to marital status, children and age, I resorted to having shops change the oil in my '89 Toy 4X4. Decided that my time with the family was more important that the hassle of the oil, filter, pan and disposal process.

I may have learned the hard way, the old addage that if you want it done the right way......

I caught a shop once being lazy. They didn't change the filter. Who knows if they changed the oil.

But the biggest leason I am sad to say that I learned today. If you do not have an analog oil gauge, make certain that your oil light illuminates when you turn the key on before the vehicle starts. If you oil light never lights up, check that wire where it plugs into the sending unit. On my truck the oil sending unit is located beside the oil filter. It can best be reached through the passenger wheel well.

I think that the last time I had my oil changed, they bumped this wire loose. And I think that I recently lost my oil pump. My engine started making some loud noise. I removed the oil filter and cut it open. The paper filament had collapsed and was filled with fine shavings of metal. I also had two burned (and dry) valves. I need a new engine.

It is a good habit to check that your oil light works. It is also a good habit to cut open your oil filter every time you change your oil just to check for particles. I have also just learned that there are services which will test your used oil for about $7.00. They will tell you how many PPM of different particles are in your oil.

Reply to
ag2

Seems like the wife will likely let you have the free time to do your own oil changes in the future. I'm the one in charge of oil changes here- I do them myself and my husband gets a chance to wrangle kids while I work. Granted he's let the cars get dirty for the past few months because family time was more important (normally he's fastidious about keeping them shiny,) but operational maintenance is never something to skimp on. Hope someone else learns from your misfortune. It took us a blown engine for my own husband to realize I do know a thing or two about cars. ;) He knew better, drove it against my warnings, water pump went to pieces less than an hour later. Now neither of us is letting any maintenance slip by. It's a shared responsibility and that brings us closer as a family.

Reply to
Pookerz

Someone has to say it, and it's my turn, so in the true spirit of "Wife Wanted - Must own Bass Boat - Send picture of the boat"...

Do you have a sister, and is she single? ;-)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Nope, no sisters. And I owe all my car knowledge to my wonderful hubby- he charmed me into learning more about his interests. I was an automotive-n00b when we met. Now he defers quite a bit of car-related judgment calls and maintenance issues to me. ;)

Reply to
Pookerz

First I would pull the engine and take it apart. You may be surprized how little damage you have. I"m a little in the dark on what you mean when you say couple dry valves. Do you mean cam bores? If so you may only need a reconditioned head with canshaft, rings, bearings,oil pump and a timing set. As far as swapping for a 6 cyl, for day to day driving, you can't beat the

22R.

If more power is important to you, trade!! It will be cheaper in the long run.

I have heard people complain about fuel mileage on the toyota, but I think they are comparing it to a compact car. It will get as good a fuel mileage as any other compact truck.

good luck charles

Reply to
charles bridges