Noisey Speedometer/Speedometer Cable '89 2WD Manual Trans

Ready to turn 190K; in colder weather lots of squealing and minor speedometer pointer jitter. Sound goes away after a few miles. Noise doesn't seem to be related to clutch throw-out bearing, moreso to speed of the vehicle.

How big a deal ($ & time) is it to have the speedometer cable replaced. Is there any part of the speedometer itself that would cause the initial squealing?

This truck has received TLC and runs like a top, except for above.

Reply to
R.E.Pasco

Squealing sounds like the speedometer head, not the cable, but you can pull the cable core and clean & lube it to make sure. Lubriplate would be perfect, but any good white grease will do.

The speedometer cable and casing should be changed as a set, because the lining on the inside of the casing wears out also and allows the core to whip. And if the core shreds when it breaks, it really messes up the inside of the sheath and leaves behind sharp bits of broken wire. A new cable core in a casing that has had a cable break inside it may not last long.

I changed the cable on my LandCruiser, it was under $100 and took a couple hours to remove all the clamps and pull out the old, put in the new. If anything, the pickups look simpler.

Don't try to change the routing or the slack, and don't kink the new cable while installing it, or you'll be doing it again soon.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I had the EXACT same problem with mine. I changed the cable and housing which made NO difference. Turned out to be the speedometer assembly in the dash, cost me $125.00 to have it repaired at a speedo shop. If it's just noisy it's probably the cable. If the needle works erratically like mine, it's probably the speedo assembly.

Reply to
MrFixit469

I had the same problem a few years ago with my '89 Toyota 4x4 5 spd manual and took it to the dealer who fixed the problem by changing out the speedometer cable.

Reply to
Bob L

Ive fixed that same issue in my 92 4runner, removed the speedo cable both ends and while the gearbox end was driven by a battery dril I fed new grease down the tube till it came out the other end. That was a year ago and teh noisey speedo and jumping needle havent returned. Took me around an hour and a half to do the whole job. Oh, then about another half hour to get teh grease i spilt out of the carpet, DOH!.

Reply to
Scotty

You should be able to do this yourself. Some cables will come out of the cable housing when disconnected from the back of the speedometer head. You can pull the cable out and clean it, then put it back in. My guess is that yours is very dirty, and the gunk & muck are causing the noises you hear.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I agree on the fix, but the cable is more likely the cuprit than the head. Just my opinion ...

This is all true as well. The only speedo cable that ever gave me trouble could be fixed by cleaning it, but surely the inside of the sleeve can be damaged and cause the noise that the OP complains of. I'd clean it first ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

And grease it - white lithium grease as a default, unless someone knows there's something else specified for it.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

With mine, the needle didn't work erratically, when I hit 45mph, the speedo needle jumped to 65 mph and stayed there until I reached 65 mph then the speedo worked correctly above that.

Reply to
MrFixit469