Tacoma Gas Mileage

I have a '99 Tacoma--automatic, 6 cylinder, extended cab--that get 16 mpg. What I sense from reading other posts here, that's quite low. Any suggestions on increasing this?

mk

Reply to
Big Dummy

Aside from proper engine maintenance, what pressure do you keep your tires at? How did you get that 16 mpg number? For what kind of driving?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Thanks for the reply,

Sorry, also forgot to mention 4WD. The 16mpg is almost entirely city driving--2 mi to work and back. Tires may be a little under pressure, but not soft. Also, I guess the sandbags in back would affect it also. But, it seems that it's not much better in the summer, w/o the extra weight.

mk

Reply to
Big Dummy

You didnt say if you have a Pre-Runner or 4x4 or a standard. I have a 2000 Pre-Runner V-6 auto , ext cab and I get 18 mpg in the city with the

31x10.50 tires. But I drive like an old man. Because i am. I have friends with the same truck in std. forn with the small tires and they get about 21 around town . I pay a price for the big tires, still love the truck. Scott
Reply to
zonie

Others will jump in to debate this, but for many tires, the pressure recommended by the car maker is not necessarily the optimum in terms of efficiency (or traction). If you're in the 26-28 range, try 30-32. But, you mentioned that you're only driving a couple of miles. If my 2002 Tacoma is any indication, the engine's still in warmup mode for the first few minutes. I'd guess it's not possible to get an accurate mpg estimate if the vehicle's only been running for a couple of miles.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I actually have never understood what the difference is between a Pre- Runner and standard. But I didn't mention I have the TRD package. Yes, I have oversize tires (don't know size off-hand), but for some reason I thought they would help mileage, not hinder it. For the same linear distance, the wheels, and thus the engine, would turn less. Oh, well.

mk

Reply to
Big Dummy

It seems to me that you might be running into an issue with your speedometer being off. It's calibrated to the factory tire size. In my mind, IF you go further in one revolution of the tire, then really you are going further then the speedometer is reading and hence, your mileage is a bit better then it shows.

Reply to
Joel

| I actually have never understood what the difference is between a Pre- | Runner and standard. But I didn't mention I have the TRD package. | Yes, I have oversize tires (don't know size off-hand), but for some | reason I thought they would help mileage, not hinder it. For the same | linear distance, the wheels, and thus the engine, would turn less. Oh, | well. | | mk

A Pre-Runner is not a 4 wheel drive. It looks like a 4 wheel drive but is not one. Pre-Runners are what the 2 wheel drive trucks that "Pre-Run" the Baja California race course are called. The difference between the regular 2 wheel drive Tacoma and the Pre-Runner is the Pre-Runner gives you the looks of a 4 wheel drive- I.E., big tires and higher ground clearance.

-- Jarhead

Reply to
Jarhead

I've owned both Pre-Runner and my newer D-cab 4wd. Both 6cyl @ 190hp. My D-cab gets 16.5 highway, 14 city, or an average 15.2 combined. And I am not heavy on the accelerator.

I used to own a 1981 Corvette. Being the 2 have almost the same horsepower @190-195hp, the only difference is the Corvette has better aerodynamics, 2 more cylinders and carburator vs, fuel injection for the truck. The Corvette got the exact same gas mileages as the truck. It's still better than the 8mi. per gallon you'll get with a 400hp motor.

Reply to
studio