1985 Toyota Land Cruiser

I have an 85 FJ-60 sitting in the driveway doing nothing. I don't have time to work on it, or play. It needs some work (gaskets changed, vacuum hoses replaced, etc..) and it has been a while since it was started. I was thinking of asking a couple grand for it...am I asking too little? Or am I crazy thinking I am gonna get 2 grand for it?

Eric

Reply to
edog

What kind of shape is it in ? Is the body rusted ? Does it even run ? That is what will determine the value of the vehicle. You could look for similiar vehicles for sale in your area and see what they are going for and price your's accordingly. It might help if you mention where you are located as that could have an affect on price also.

Reply to
Mike

Sorry for being so vague. I was just taking a temperature.

It is in Central Texas. The body is in decent shape (no rust, but could use a paint job on the hood) the front bumper is missing, and the rear one has a couple of dents. There is some minor body damage to the front passenger side panel near the tire. The truck did run, I drove it to it's current resting spot. If I put an afternoon into it, it would start I am sure. The interior is in pretty decent shape...the center console needs to be replaced since the screw holes are blown out. There is one small crack in the dash, and the drivers cloth seat is starting to tear at the corner. Aside from that the interior just needs a good detailing. The transfer case for the 4 wheel drive is tip top, and the transmission seems to be in good shape. The engine is leaky, but only in one spot. The gaskets need to be changed all the way around. The radiator is pretty new, but the exhaust needs to be worked on.

Again, I would like to get $2000 for the truck, but don't want to leave money on the table.

Reply to
erichagstrom

If you marked it as "$2,000 As-Is" and it's under 200K miles, you're likely to cause a stampede of people coming over to check it out. And they're going to mercilessly low-ball you on the price because "It's not running, and I have no idea what it will take to get it running." And they would have every right to do it.

I'd strongly suggest you invest a little effort and money in the car

- get a new battery, flush the gas tank if it's been sitting for over a year, get the car cleaned up and running, buff out the paint and wax it. Even if you don't fix all the little problems like the oil leak and the exhaust.

Once it's running and has current tags on it, and people can take it out for a test-drive or to their mechanic for a check-over, then you can ask for a lot more - like $5K to $10K depending on the mileage and other variables. And probably get two or three people bidding.

Smart buyers know LandCruisers, you can push it off a cliff - and probably walk to the bottom with a few friends for "muscle", tip it back on it's wheels, check the fluids, and drive it home. Timex ain't got nothin' on Toyota in the "Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'" race.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman