Oil Disappearing

My '85 SR5 ExtraCab pickup has 151,000 miles on it. The last few weeks I've noticed that it is using a quart of oil about every 300 miles. It doesn't leak and I can't see it smoke. Anyone got any ideas where the oil is going? My neighbor said that the first thing I should do is to replace the valve stem seals. He says that it is a very easy job and I should be able to do it myself but I've never done a job like that and he's never owned a Toyota so he's not much help there. Is replacing the valve stem seals a job that a complete novice should attempt? Are there any special tools that I might need for a job such as this? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Jerry

PS If you'd prefer to answer this via e:mail, take one of the zeroes out of my return address.

Reply to
Jerry

Before we get into all that, park the thing on ramps, get underneath and see how many of the oil pan bolts are loose! I have had the same thing happen on three of my 'Yota cars. If you're feeling brave enough, replace the pan gasket, too. *DON'T OVERTIGHTEN THE BOLTS!* I did that twice, once (that is , one bolt) on each car. For some reason, something is real soft and you can feel the bolt just turning. Luckily, there are enough so ONE bolt loose doesn't matter (voice of experience here)

BTW, the bed hasn't rusted off the body, Or worse yet , the frame? Up here in New England 10 years ago I scrapped out an '85 Xcab because there was a

12" hole in the frame. Hated to do it, engine was ok, cab was great.
Reply to
Snot Important

If we're talking about the 22R or 22RE engine, then... Sounds to me like you have one of three things wrong.

1) Rear main seal has failed -- transmission or engine must come out... your choice. 2) Front main seal has failed -- Must remove the the crankshaft pulley and the oil pump to replace. 3) Distributor O-ring has failed -- Least likely but easiest fix. Pull distributor and replace o-ring.

It's not the stem seals. If you were losing that much oil by the stem seals, people would think you were spraying for mosquitoes while your engine was running. They are not easy to change. If you're going to change them, you might as well have the cylinder head replaced or reconditioned because you have to remove the rocker assembly to get to the valves. Removing the rocker assembly entails removing all the head screws which warrants a head-gasket replacement. Personally, I don't like to de-torque the gasket and then re-torque it later.

Reply to
Celica Dude