Opinions on 87 Toyota SR5 4x4

I'm considering buying a 87 SR5 4x4 with 170000 miles. Seems in decent shape for an 87. Any opinions would be helpful.

Reply to
J Fann

J Fann

Actually it may have a 22R, not RE. Both were available in '87.

Reply to
Dan G

Check the back door, unless replaced or in very good condition it will have rust along the top and at the bottom. This door is expensive to replace and is usually patched. Rear wheel wells are another trouble spot.

Reply to
No Spam

Well, that's not a lot of information. My '90 4Runner (22RE, 5sp, 4WD) has 240K miles. Various things have needed replacing since around 200K miles: the timing chain, the alternator, an idler pulley, the radiator. It's burning a significant amount of oil now, and getting some serious rust above the rear wheels.

If it's reasonably priced, and not too rusty, it should still have some good years left in it.

- Zelda

Reply to
Zelda

I love my 87 SR5 4runner. The only drawback is that at highway speeds (75mph) it's a little underpowered and affected by wind more than my 2nd generation 4runner. Of course the AT probably contributes some to the underpower issue. At 70 with the cruise on it shifts way too much in and out of overdrive, and this is on fairly flat land. At 55 mph and lower it handles better than my '93. I had alot of electrical issues with the

  1. Window switches, window relays, tailgate safety switches, removeable top saftey switches, but these were fairly simple to solve with the schematics on Roger Brown's web site. My 87 is now at 155k miles and still drives like a new truck. I've put 10k on it since I've owned it and I trust it as being dependable. We've just gotten our first real snow of the year and the thing goes great though it. My only real problem is an engine knock. Wheather it's piston slap, rod knock, a bearing I'm not sure, but because it goes away after 15 minutes of driving it doesn't concern me at this point. When the engine does go, it'll get a new one and a tranny rebuid because I plan on driving this thing for at least another 10-15 years. Not bad for a 0 truck I found rotting in a field, eh?
Reply to
chuck