oxygen sensor (o-2)

I bought a salvaged title 2001 toyota tundra a couple of yers ago and it has been a great truck. My engine light has been on for some time and at first, garages that had mdiocore scanners could only tell me it was an emmissions problem. Recently I had a garage that had a very expensive scanner and hooked it up to my toy and it indicated the O-2 Sensor (#1/#1 Bank) was bad. This is the sensor that is on the drivers side coming off the exhaust manifold pipe. I checked the price and it is expensive, around $102.00. I am just wondering since this is probably what has caused my engine light to stay on all this time and when I got the truck it only had 35k miles,but I am concerned if I replace it and the same thing happens again, what could be casuing it. This truck is like new and no leaks anywhere. As a matter of fact even around the sensor it is still clean and shiney. Any thoughts?

Reply to
e1d2

I've had 4 O2 sensors replaced by Toyota, who have extended the warranty for them. You have a newer Tundra with a lot less miles than I had when the last one went bad. Check with Toyota.

If your state has required smog tests, the odds are good that your engine light will be an instant fail. Get it fixed.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

Toyota had/has an extended warranty out for the 1st O2 sensor on each bank for the '00 - '04 Tundra's with the 4.7L V8. Had to have both of them replaced on my '02 only after about 50K. Had another friend have both of his replaced on his '02 about the same time but with around 18K.

$102 doesn't seem bad but just make sure that they are the new ones put out by Toyota and not the originals that came with the truck or you will be replacing them again but much sooner.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

If it's a salvaged title, it was in a pretty good wreck. Chances are that the O2 sensor was damaged in the wreck and you should only need to replace it once. The engine light will cause you to fail the visual inspection on the smog test before they even hook it up to the machine. Was the O2 sensor the only problem they found when they hooked it up to the "good" computer?

Reply to
MrFixit469

Yes. The truck only suffered hood damage and headlights. I had the truck checked out and they were surprised it was a salvaged title. All the glass was original and even the fendors. I crawled under the truck and looked at the O2 sensor and it really looks in good shape but I relaize that looks have nothing to do with it usually. My brother is a mechanic and has the scanner but it was a reputable repair shop that I had just spent $680.00 to for motor mounts on my Nissan Altima and the guy just wanted to show off his $8,000.00 scanner. My brother is geting me the part at his cost and we will put it on. After crawling under the truck and looking, it doesn't look to be to hard of a job and he has racks to put it on but the trucks sets up high enough one really wouldn't need them but you do need the scanner to take out the messagein the computer.

Thanks for all the input from everyone. Since my truck is a Salvaged titlem chances are Toyota won't back anything with a warranty.

Reply to
e1d2

I've seen where they have been a problem on some other web sites that tundra owners were talking about. They too said the problemn has been fixed now but for a few years the O2 sensors were a sore spot on them. Since mine is a "salvaged Title" chances of Toyota standing behind anything is doubtful. I got my loan through a federal credit union and they were the ones to inspect it and at the time booked it at $19,800.00 and I was buying it for !$12,000. It has all the bells and whistles and I had even discovered an alarm system on it they had disconnected but that was an easy fix so I felt I came out okay on the deal. this is the first so-called problem I have encountered with it but I just want to get it fixed. I get 20-22 miles per gallon highway and about 16-17 in town and it has the 4.7 V-8. I have put flow-Master exhaust on it and the Tornado in the air flow but have not noticed much of a difference in the performance.

Reply to
e1d2

Our state done away with the "Inpection sticker" a few years back so we don't have to go through any inspections any longer and even then, it all depended on who you took it to whether you passed or not. I think that was one reason they voted it out It wasn't being used in an unfair manner.

Reply to
e1d2

Actually, a slavaged title is generally created based on the owner and the insurance company. This truck has driver/passenger airbags and neither were deployed nor was any of the original glass broken. By looking under it and on the frame, everything looks as though it just came from the showroom. Like I said, I got it at 35,000 miles and now have 62,000 and have never had any problems. I just recently replaced the original tires and put on new ones. This is my 3rd salvaged title truck and I have had great experiences with them. the key is not buying one from some country corner car lot but from a reputable dealer who had been around for some time and bankers who know them. I've always been able to sell them and actually make money and use it to buy another but you have to be patient and do a lot of looking.

Thanks for your input. I do appreciate it!

Reply to
e1d2

I said that wrong. "it(the inspections) wasn't being used fairly and the inspection process was not accurate. Some places checked everything and some just checked a few things."

Reply to
e1d2

The dealer doesn't know the truck has a salvage title if you don't tell them, and that batch of bad sensors is a known factory problem that would not be affected in a collision - go to the local dealer, tell them that the sensor is scanning as bad, and see if it falls under the recall.

If you don't ask, you'll never know. Save yourself a few bucks.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

It's worth a try I guess. As long a they don't key in the Vin#.

Thanks!

Reply to
e1d2

Unless a Dealer did the salvaging themselves and entered it into the Toyota National Database, how would they know? And you are not making a warranty claim for a mechanical problem, this is a recall for a bad sensor. Different creature.

And you've never made it very clear how the car got totaled in the first place - if you even know.

If for instance someone smacked it in the rear hard enough to trash the bed, stuff it into the back of the cab and require a total bed replacement and cab repairs, that could cost more to fix than scrap by the insurer's estimation - but it shouldn't affect the engine systems at all.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

why wast ur money like that on some that has dirty tile if u go to resale it ull never get ur money out of it u could have bought a relly ice truck for 12-13,000 and no head akes

BAIN15

Reply to
dan baker

duh when they run the vin thell know ur dum to

BAIN15

Reply to
dan baker

I've had the truck 2 years and have only put on tires and brakes. the truck came with Chrome nerf bars, bed liner, chrome mirrors and bumpers, towing package, am-fm, cd, cassette player, fold down console in the front w.two cup holders, a pull out dual cup holder form the dash, it's an access cab (4-door), fold down console in the rear plus sliding back glass. 4.7 V-8 and it only had 35,000 miles on it, it was 3 years old, do the math. Less than 12,000 per yr., keyless remote entry with Alram system and anti-theft.

Have you priced a Tundra even now for one loaded like this and a 2001 ? You might find one now for 10,000 to 12,000.+ You couldn't have bought this two years ago anywhere near $13,000. I did my homework! Evidently you haven't!

The person from the credit union has been doing salvaged titles for 27 years and he went through it with a fine tooth comb and put a $19,800.00 price on it in 2004. I only needed to borrow $10,500 cause I had made $2400,00 when I sold my "salvaged" title Dodge Dakota that had 122,000 on it. Ihad bought it with 51,000 on it for $3,000 under loan.

Reply to
e1d2

It doesn't have a dirty title goober. Don't you think the Federal Credit Union checked that out before making a loan on it? Duh!

Reply to
e1d2

By the way - Love your spelling and grammar there, Dan. I'm going to leave it just exactly like you typed it. When they "run the VIN" that would only be done through the Toyota national service database looking for a service and maintenance history on the car, and looking for recalls and 'Special Service Campaign' work that has not been done - like that O2 sensor SSC.

(Disclaimer - IANAL.)

Since the dealer is not buying or selling the car, they do not run it through the State DMV records to check on the vehicle's title status - or at least, they'd better not be. The only valid reason would be if the owner of the car was in the showroom looking at new cars, and asks them to run his credit and check on the trade-in value of the old truck.

Without a valid reason they have no reason to access those records, and it could be a violation of privacy to do so.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

AH YES THEY DO