"Poll": Odometer, Fuel Economy, and Octane of 3VZ-E 4WD Pickups/4 Runners (89-94)

I'm curious about a trend I've seen from owning 3 of these.

If you have a 4WD Toyota V6 3VZ-E Pickup, X-Cab, or 4Runner, email (preferred) or post your:

Model Year Odometer Reading (or actual miles if your odometer is wrong). Average Fuel Economy over the past 3 months (assuming you keep an accurate record by filling up at the same station, running down to at least a half tank, and refill at the same or similar station. Please, no estimates). Average Octane. Transmission: Auto, 5spd, SR5

For example (one of my current trucks, an 89 DLX V6 4x4 5spd)

89, 195354, 19.4, 87, 5spd

direct email is preferred (email is valid) and I will post a summary.

Reply to
gregory trimper
1992 4Runner SR5 4WD V6 3VZ-E 152,000 miles 19 MPG (70% highway) 87 Octane 5Spd
Reply to
Cruizer9
1990 4Runner SR5 4WD V6 3VZ-E 231,000 KMS (143474 miles) 19.5 MPG (75% HWY) 87 Octane Automatic
Reply to
Silentsam

My '93 runs great and doesn't get that mileage. Do you have lockouts and what tire size?

Reply to
chuck

I am not sure what lockouts are, but my tire size is 31-10.5-15. I have owned this 4runner for about 1 1/2 years. the first few months I got horrible milage, like 14 MPG (375-400 KM per tank). I cleaned the K and N filter and changed the exhauslt system (it was pretty rotten) from the Cat back. Since then my mileage has been consistently around

500-520KM per tank. I tend to drive the speed limit (100-110 KM/h) so that def> > 1990 4Runner SR5 4WD V6 3VZ-E
Reply to
Silentsam

'90 X-Cab, 155k miles, 19 mpg, same as when new, mostly hi-way. 89 octane (knocks on 87), 5 speed. Also uses about 1/2 qt of oil between changes @4k.

Gary W.

Reply to
Gjlwilliams
89 ex cab 4 wd v6 280,000 17.3 mpg truck has work rack on it
Reply to
MICHALE AUER
94 Pickup, 147237 mi, 19 mpg, 87 oct, 5spd
Reply to
phoenix1029
1993 SR5 P/U, ext cab, automatic, 4X4, V6 (no ac) only use regular (87) octane gas current milage = 113,340 I've owned this vehicle for the past 27,900 mile; when I get gas, I always fill it up, and alway write the current milage on the gas slip; I've been tracking mpg for every tank full

total average = 17.73 mpg (27,900 mi / 1,573 gal)

best = 22.0 (extended hiway travel in the summer; 500 mile trip from MA to PA, then back) worst = 14.7 (short hauling trips, winter, city) the graph of mpg vs date is pretty much a sin wave; reaches max amplitude in hot summer, and reaches min amplitude in cold winter.

this vehicle does NOT seem to get any better mileage with higher octane gas. this vehicle does NOT require oil addition between regular oil changes (every 4,000 - 5,000 miles)

Reply to
Mobo