Re: 22r/ 22re Mileage survey

I picked up a 1987 4 Runner with 25,000 miles on it five years ago. yes it was driven by a little old man. Engine and powertrain were excellent but body is going...frame ok.

He changed oil according to warranty book. i changed oil every 1200 miles. used diesel detergent oil...semi synthtic 0 W 30 for the harsh Canadian winters. A buddy gave me the oil so what the heck...i used it....I now beleive that the oil loosed up enough dirt in the engine and plugged an oil gallery that allowed a connecting rod berring to go. This was at

60,000 miles. i am now looking for a new motor. i will never use disel or semi synthetic oil again. Beware out there.
Reply to
87Runner

Diesels are outstanding engines - ten times better than hybrids will ever be. (Hey buddy can you spare a quarter - I have to replace my $5000 battery pack). You found a truck that had very few miles. Most likely very short times on the road. Such things result in much unburned moisture and other goodies in the oil which turn into an acid. Works wonders for the engine.

I would take a diesel any day over any other engine out these.....

Reply to
Don Carpenter