Re: Accelerator problem only affecting US made Toyota models

If your VIN begins with JT, you're in good shape. This is only

> affecting > US models.

Is this really true? All of the 2010 Highlanders I looked at are made in Japan and they are on the recall list. So are 2009-2010 RAV4s. The only US/Japan split is see is for Camry's. Otherwise the recall affects Toyota produced in Japan, Europe, and the US. Maybe if your Camry was made in Japan, it might be true, but it seems they are constantly expanding this recall....

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Back to the river

Mike Hunter

Toyota?s massive recall of more than seven million vehicles in the United States ? sparked by reliability problems with accelerator pedals ? is to be extended to Europe and China, the company revealed today.

The announcements came hours after the company added a further 1.09 million vehicles to the tally of cars involved in its US recall. It is thought that at least 75,000 vehicles will be recalled in China.

Reply to
SnoBrdr

To me it sounds awfully suspicious that Toyota is all-the-sudden doing as bad as the big 3.

I would agree with someone who said; "Toyota needs to remember they're a car company and not a finance company".

Reply to
studio

I just repeated what Brian Williams said on the NBC Nightly News Wednesday.

Reply to
Hachiroku

It was bound to happen. I said something about this years ago. You make 1.2 million cars a year, with a 1% defect rate. That's 12,000 cars with defects. All of a sudden you have 12 million output per year, you're now at 120,000 defects. Then you have a situation that comes up where the same defective part is spread across model lines, be it a bad accelerator or bad programming, and that's amplified even further.

I had a feeling something like this would happen when I got in a brand new Camry in 2000, a loaner while my Corolla was being fixed, and the power window jammed on the way down...

However, I believe you won't see this happen at Toyota again for quite a while...if ever.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I think it has a lot more to do with Toyota's very rapid growth.

Reply to
dr_jeff

I would have to agree 100%.

WHAT?!?!?! I AGREED with Jeff!!???

I was saying exactly the same thing when I was getting my car inspected this morning. In a effort to become #1, they just plain went too fast.

Er, shoot. Maybe I should rephrase that...

Reply to
Hachiroku

dr_jeff found these unused words:

Rate of growth ususally results in supply and manufacturing problems, not, as may seem in this case, a design problem. Across board in many models, cable or FBW, so not linked to something 'temporary'.

I'd be looking at the computer.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

Yeah, and it is designing cars and trucks for many different models.

Rapid growth also results in culture problems, which is what Toyota seems to be suffering from.

Reply to
dr_jeff

dr_jeff found these unused words:

'Wrong' computer ... throttle system!