Rust recall - '02 Tundra

Well, I finally got a recall notice from Toyota on my 2002 Tundra,

144,000 km (circa 89,000 miles) for rust problems with the rear cross member. I will take it to my friendly Toyota dealer, and they will fix the problem with an 8 year old vehicle that has rust. This is the second recall. They replaced a switch that could overheat the first time.

Oh, my - what a catastrophe. Here I am, in the Candian Rocky Mountains where we expect to replace a windshield a year for the gravel that accompanies the salt on the highways. Toyota are worried that the spare tire could fall off. I would worry too if the gas tank fell on the road when the straps broke when the spare tire fell off.

This being my first post, I should perhaps give a bit of automotive history. I learned to drive on a 1940 Chev Panel - same age as I was at the time. The motorized vehicles that I have owned are, in order of purchase, 1946 Enfield 350 thumper [bought in 1956, rebuilt the engine and clutch before it was driveable]. 1952 Chev Belair four door sedan [1960], 1955 Austin A55 four door sedan [1962], 1958 Chev Belair hard top [1965], 1958 Mercedes 220S sedan [1965 in Germany with NATO], 1971 Fairlane 289 wagon [1974], 1974 Renault R12 wagon [1976], 1975 Renault

5 [1977], 1981 Subaru GL 5 wagon [1981!!!! first new one!], 1984 Toyota LE Van - all 93 hp. [1984], 1990 Toyota V6 extracab pickup [1991], 2002 Tundra v8 4x4 [2003].

Why three toys in a row? The service department at the dealership I frequent. Don't buy a car by the name plate, buy it by the service department. Except for maybe the Jugo, there aren't really any truly terrible cars out there. I really like the cabin in my friends Chev

1500 pickup. Much better back seat. But the service department sucks.
Reply to
AlB