Re: Catalytic Converter Anti-Theft Protection

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 07:32:12 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

I hope that's true. I know there is some federal angle to forcing the emissions testing reqt. Here in NJ now that the state govt is broke, they are eliminating safety inspections. It had been every 2 years, cut down from every year about 10 years ago. Emissions still have to be done every 2 years on most cars. New cars don't have to be emission tested for 4 years. When I went a couple weeks ago with my

1980 Mercedes 300SD, they told me to go away and NEVER come back. Being an older diesel, they never had checked the emissions on it. They said any diesel older than I think 96 doesn't have to be inspected again. Yipee!
Reply to
trader4

I live in PA and never thought I would see the day when the PRofNJ moved the other direction since we really tried our best to emulate them.

In PA we have a mandatory 1 year safety inspection. It is also very sensibly mandatory for that shiny new vehicle you just bought. So new car dealers must do the safety inspection before they can hand you the keys (have to watch out for low tire tread and excessive brake wear on a new vehicle)

The emissions inspection is more granular. Vehicles registered in the very low population counties aren't required to have it. In the rest it is annual. If the vehicle is driven less than 5,000 miles it is exempt from the emission inspection but you still need to bring it in and pay a slightly reduced fee and they put a slightly different sticker on the window.

Reply to
George