catalytic converter

Just traded my 97 SC2 for an 02 SC2......and am wondering if it may be exhibiting catalytic problems. There is a slight "rattle" when ignition is turned off. It also does a lot of popping like something is really hot.......even after only a few miles. Mechanic says everything looks ok. The catalytic was very hot while the muffler & pipe weren't. The '97 also had more power even with bigger tires and

145,000 miles than the '02 with 57,000 miles does. Any suggestions? Thanks. EJ
Reply to
et_at_home1

I would have it checked out by another mechanic, from what you describe, it could be a bad cat or an exhaust problem.

Dont expect a stock '02 SC to be a fast as a '97 as the older model as 'in '01 the SC was placed on the SL chassis to increase the size of the body ergo increasing weight. Also, the intake and manifold are restricted, something that can be easily overcome with mods. EricSc02 on SaturnFans has done alot to his to make it worthy of the SC name.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

Thanks, marx404......lots of appreciation for the info. Should of found this site while I was still looking for another Saturn. Is 'SaturnFans' another group? I would certainly like to hear what EricSc02 has to say about increasing hp.

I will take your advice and have it checked out by another mechanic......maybe two. First, I'll try the local Saturn dealer. Did I read on here somewhere that the emissions warranty is either 70,000/7 or 80,000/8? Unfortunately, the 02 didn't come with an original manual. Does anyone out there have an 02, Sc2 manual they could turn loose of??

Thanks again marx404 for your advice.

EJ

marx404 wrote:

Reply to
et_at_home1

Reply to
Roy

(hot cat) It's very possible your engine is running far to rich and/or not getting a complete burn in your combustion chamber. You are running a risk of having a fire. Fuel delivery and the ignition system should be looked at.

Reply to
BläBlä

I'd have the O2 sensor(s) checked first. A failing/failed Oxygen sensor can "convince" the ECU that the engine is running lean which leads to the ECU lengthening the injector pulses and causing it to run rich. That can substantially elevate catalytic converter temps since it now has to deal with a lot of excess unburned fuel.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

Hi Roy:

I am in Tennessee/USA.......Just spoke with the local Saturn serviceman. His over-the-phone opinion is I'm not having cat problems, and if I am, it's not covered. He's not aware of any warranty.....???????????????? Don't know if that's where I should take it or not.

Ya all come aga> Not sure where you are but Saturn/GM Canada is 5 year warranty regardless of

Reply to
et_at_home1

(fire??) (hot cat) Thanks, BlaBla, for the info. It isn't a very comforting thought, although a very valid thought. Could that cause the rough idle, too?

EJ

Reply to
et_at_home1

Ritz:

Okie dokie, sounds good to me. Thanks for your advice. Wouldn't you think that a competent serviceman would check the O2 sensors as part of investigating the problem? My problem may be finding that competent serviceman.

Bless you,

Reply to
et_at_home1

Diagnosing...Has more to do with money and time than competence.

Anything that has to do with fuel delivery. Engine coolant temp sensor should be investigated as well.

Reply to
BläBlä

Unfortunately, most of the "techs" that you'll find at a dealer these days are just glorified parts changers. So it's unlikely they'd bother to check the O2 sensor unless there was a relevant CEL code thrown. And even then, they'd probably just replace the sensor and hope the problem goes away. With an appropriate diagnostic tool, they should be able to get real-time data on the O2/lambda sensor feedback and then get a look at the long and short-term fuel trim.

This definitely isn't something to ignore since constantly feeding a catalytic converter a rich exhaust can cause premature failure or a fire. I've literally seen them glow cherry red in some cases. Depending on your year/mileage, this might be covered under the emissions equipment warranty which is longer than the standard 3/36k warranty.

Good luck,

Reply to
Ritz

Ritz:

I tend to agree with your explanation of "techs", and really, they do not like their opinions to be questioned! I have been told repeatedly that there is nothing wrong with the cat; that they all make the popping, cooling off sound........and that the slight rattle I hear is the cat's shield.......they all do that.....huh?...., and that the shield can be removed, but the surrounding areas like the floorboard would get hot. I haven't stuck my head under the car to see what color the cat gets. I have not heard of the cooling off sound from other Saturn owners, or on other Saturn's I looked at before getting this one.

There is an 80,000/8yr warranty on the emissions equipment. The Sc2 is an 02, 57500 miles.

Reply to
et_at_home1