Re: Catalytic Converter Anti-Theft Protection

I got a call on Wednesday night from a friend the next street over who

>had the catalytic converter stolen off his 4-Runner during the night. > >Searching on-line, I learned that Toyota trucks/SUVs are a prime target >for catalytic converter thieves because of the high clearance and the >ease of unbolting it or cutting the pipe. > >I've been looking at the various theft protection devices: > >"
">"
">"
"> >I'm thinking of just making my own with 5/16" wire rope since all of the >commercial ones use wire rope too. > >Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see why a few turns of the wire >rope on the pipe going into each side of the converter, and then >cross-pattern spiral wrapping of the converter with the cable, then >running the cable through frame members one each end would not be as >good as the "cage" of horizontal cables used by the catclamp. I went >under the vehicle and tried it with rope today to see how much cable I'd >need. and it looks like about 20' would do it. I might also use some >steel cable ties to tie the cable together where it crosses. > >"
">I'd use these bolted "swages" but I can route the cable so these are not >reachable to undo them with wrenches.> >Any suggestions. >

Yeah, buy a car not easily crawled under, and/or fabricate a cage of

1/4" bar stock to bolt over the cat. Cables are too easy to cut. Having to secure a cat is about the stupidest thing I've heard in maybe 2 or 3 years. What's the world coming to?

--Vic

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Ah...how I long for the good ole days of "test pipes".

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Non-California cats for a 4-Runner run about 80 bucks. Unless you pay a lot more I wouldn't bother trying to theft-proof it. A righteous thief might slice $800 of your tires when he sees how you want to deny him his fix.

They'll start carrying snips for the cables. Might even make a special trip back with snips.

The cage would have many bars to cut, some bucking the saw blade against the cat or elsewhere. Might have to drill through the floor to bolt in the cage. This entire exercise is too stupid for words, whether it's wrapping a cat with cables or putting a honking cage over it.

The answer is cracking down on the scrap yards with some perp walks.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith
+1 Depending on year the converter can be found for cheaper online:
There are other things the thief can steal with minimal noise and basic tools: rear bumper, tow hitch, antenna, running board, spare wheel, mud flaps, tailgate (for pickups), license plate... No way to protect them all.
Reply to
First of One

The front market lights alone are good for a grand.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Move someplace where you can park inside?

Reply to
aemeijers

Or elect folks who aren't worried about hurting feelings...

Reply to
George

Vic Smith found these unused words:

Same old thing, druggies need $$$, crooks [read auto parts 2nd hand dealers] need 'stock'!

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

Nut.

Reply to
Desertphile

Sorry to butt in desertpile but you may be the nut here.

Just subtract the crime figures attributed to Latino illegal immigrants and their proginy and tell us what you come up with (the answer will be the reduced rate of crime). If you don't think the crime figures would be greatly reduced that would make _you_ the Nut!

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

Hey, if everyone used common sense there would be no need for senate committees, think tanks, lawyers, lobbists... We can't have that now can we? :-)

@aemeijers: Parking inside isn't safer. Depending on the garage it could be worse, because the security guard is in on the deal...

Reply to
First of One

Not because of catalytic converter thefts, but scrap dealers around here are now required to get positive ID (as much as a thumb print, so I'm told) from anyone who brings in scrap. Much noise was made about a few who were caught with the guts from heat pumps and the incidence has fallen off sharply. String 'em up and post their heads on a pike; few will follow.

Like all anti-theft measures, all you can expect to accomplish is to get the perp to pick on someone else.

Reply to
krw

I meant like in a HOUSE, with a GARAGE. One of many reasons I refuse to live in an urban area or an apartment complex any more- I hate getting robbed on a regular basis. BTDT, said the hell with this noise. Costs me a little more money, and an extra ten minutes a day commuting, but I haven't been robbed in over five years here, knock on wood. And I don't have to scrape the car in cold weather. Once in a while, my garage door bounces back open after I press the 'close' button and drive off, and nothing has ever come up missing with it open all day. (or all night when I space out and forget to close it.) There are some advantages to nosy retired neighbors, about half with dogs.

I wouldn't live in a big city on a bet, even if I could find a job that paid enough to offset the higher expenses there.

Reply to
aemeijers

Of course. I keep my Taco in my garage at home. However, it is still vulnerable when I drive it to work, where it sits unattended for 8 hours a day, at the same spot every day...

Reply to
First of One

OEM ones purchased from a Toyota dealer, sure. Aftermarket units can be found on eBay for $50 each, or about $100 for a pair:

You can even get projector units with CCFL "halos" for the same price:
Bottom line: most replacement parts for Toyotas are cheap enough that it isn't worth the trouble to come up with half-assed anti-theft measures.

Reply to
First of One

What do you do with your car when you drive it to work or to a store or when visiting friends?

Reply to
George

Possibly where you live, but not universally everywhere. Try your math on Detroit.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Bingo! Moved from SFBA to rural CO Rockies. Shoulda done it 30 yrs ago. Between Fido and Ruger, no one touches cars parked outdoors. ....and I haven't heard a single car alarm in 3 yrs.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Okay, I give up. How does electing "folks who aren't worried about hurting feelings" prevent theft of catalytic converters?

Reply to
Desertphile

What the bloody f*ck does that have to do with preventing catalytic converters?

Reply to
Desertphile