Re: HELP - hesitation problem

It was the plugs. imagine that - after only 145,000 miles. Humph. I really didn't expect the plugs to be the problem because of the way it was acting. Always thought plugs would cause problms at higher engine speeds. Replaced the (probably original) NDs with the recommended NGKs. The NDs looked clean and weren't sooty or oily, but did have a rather large gap. The NGKs have two opposing electrodes. Anyone have any good or bad experience with these? I always had good luck with NGKs in motorcycles, but they had the standard one-side-electrode configuration.

I have a '98 4Runner Four cyl/ manual transmission with 145,000 miles. It > has been pretty much trouble free up to now, with the exception of a > throttle position sensor I had to change last year and still doesn't burn > any oil between changes. It's my baby and I still love it - can't think of > anything I'd rather own. It started exhibiting symptoms yesterday tat have > me stumped, though. it has begun a lurching, or momentary random hesitation > under acceleration below 2500 RPM. Above 2500 it smoothes out and pulls > smoothly and strongly to redline. It Idles pretty well, with occasional > transient oughness, and seems to have as much power as ever. i filled it > with premium (Chevron) and added a large bottle of Techron (injector > cleaner) this morning, and it didn't make any difference. Changed th pcv > valve and am about to change the (original) plugs. Might install new wires > too, although these things should cause a miss at higher RPMs in my mind. > > PS - there is no "check engine" light on, leading me not to suspect any of > the engine sensors. > > > Thanks in advance for any help > > Chuck > > >
Reply to
Chuck

Yeah, imagine that... I'm not sure what your manual says, but we tend to replace the plugs once a year as a rule on our vehicles, regardless of mileage. It's so easy and cheap to keep a vehicle well maintained; we never give ours a chance to 'act funny'. I've had my 96 4runner since 1999 and never had a single problem with it, granted it has about half the miles yours does (same engine and transmission.) Maybe it's overkill to change plugs every year, but hubby's used to maintaining aircraft so I guess we're just stuck on keeping things in top running condition ;)

We considered buying the NGK plugs but have had no trouble with the less expensive double platinum (Autolite I think, might have been Bosch.) We always start with the cheaper solution for things and go from there, usually saving a bundle in the end. Dee

Reply to
Pookerz

I used to do th same, and still do my oil, etc. at 3,000 - but on my last work truck, I got 350,000 on the original plugs, just to see how long they would last. I like my Toyota so much that I'm thinking of going back to a more pro-active maintanence schedule. (like you husbands) For what it's worth, the Ngk's were less than two bucks apeice, and I don't think there is a better plug. I tried all kinds on my motocross days, and all the others would fail pretty quickly, but the NGK's would just run forever. Thanks for the reply.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck