Re: Hooking up a self-powered subwoofer

I am not familiar with Clarion products, but I am sure the self powerd sub should have a crossover in there somewhere. So just take one set of preouts from the deck and if the self powered sub has inputs, plug em in.

As far as power to the amp for the sub, You should take a look at a power cable calculator. I think there is one on

abd figure out how long a wire you need to run from the battery positive to the amplifier of the sub. Then on the cable chart crossreference the total output power of the self powered subs amplifier scetion and choose the appropriat gauge wire.

An educated guess would be atleast 4 gauge wire for the positive side of the amp.

When it comes to the ground side, use the same or bigger gauge wire as you did for the positive.Make the ground wire as short as possible. Drill a hole and clean the paint from around the hole atleast a 1/2" all around the new hole. Use a good bolt and serrated washer to get the best ground as possible.

Put a fuse inline , within 18inches of the battery for safety reasons.

Now there should be a terminal on the amp called a remote turn on. On your Kenwood deck there should be a blue wire, maybe 2 of them or a blue wire with a white strip.

If there is only one blue wire on the deck it would be the power antennae turn on. Some of these can be wired to the remote turn on for the amp, but sometimes they cant cause they will only provide power to raise or lower the antennae.

Another blue or blue/white wire should be labelled remote turn on, wire that sucker directly to the amplifier section. You ready for bass.

Play with the crossover knob until you find a setting you like. Usually between 50Hz and 80Hz is good.

Try to run your power wires under the carpet near the door sills and your RCA cables atleast 8 inches away from them so as not to pickup any radiated noise from the power cabling.

Definatly strap the amp/sub combo down for those quick panic stops. Lotsa guys have big dents in thier heads from flying boxes.

Good luck

Reply to
Toy

Toy:

Wow! Thanks for the great answer. I will use all of your advice.

-Brian

Toy wrote:

Reply to
Brian

I hope it can help you out. I am not familiar with your vehicle too well, but try the different car audio forums and do a post.

A few good ones are

The best place on the net I have come across for basic car audio ideas and explanations is

This isa damn good place to check out then use the other forums or here to post anyother questions. I believe there is also a car audio newsgroup I think it isrec.audio.car if you do a search in newsgroups through outlook express. Good luck with it.

Reply to
Toy
1st always buy from
2nd follow the instructions. 3rd Enjoy.