Regular or mid-grade -- '08 Tacoma.

Hello Everyone,

OK, I'm being anal about this. I admit it.

In my '08 Tacoma 4 cyl. with 1000 miles, I've only used mid-grade gas so far. On the pump at Chevron, regular claimed 87 octane and mid-grade claimed 89.

What do y'all think? Save a dime per gallon, or splurge for a little higher octane?

Any comments? Suggestions? Thanks.

The Rocket Man

P.S. 1000 miles down, only 999,000 to go to catch that guy with the '91.

Reply to
Hober Mallow

I'd use what the manual recommends.

My '05 V6 gets better mileage, for a lower cost per mile, and better performance, on 91+. However, my owner's manual recommends 91+ octane. Mid grade is a waste of money for me, I measured no benefit from 89 when testing 10 consecutive tanks of each grade and comparing the cost per mile.

I've heard that manuals for newer versions of the truck, do not recommend premium fuel. If that's true, you're probably wasting your money.

What does the '08 manual say about octane for the 4 banger?

Reply to
B A R R Y

Reply to
Frank

I run 87 in my 07 taco 2.7L I4 manual trans, 4X4, and get 23 miles per. get the same with hi test at a much higher price. Not rocket science. ">

Reply to
Frank

I'm pretty sure the Owner's Manual calls for 87. To be sure though, I'd have to actually open the Owner's Manual. As I recall, there is also a sticker inside of the fuel filler door. But, I'd have to open the door, or the manual, to be sure.

I don't think you are being anal at all on this issue. If you were being anal, you'd have read the manual at least twice by now.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland