removing Tacoma 4x4 front brake rotors

I'm going to be removing the front brake rotors on a '99 Tacoma 4x4 pickup truck in a couple of day. Are there any "special" tools I'll need, or any "tricks" that I should know of before I get into this project? All the rotors I've removed in the past have been pretty straight forward, remove the wheel and caliper and the rotors will slip off of the wheel lug bolts. Is there anything different with the Tacoma 4x4? Thanks

Reply to
Snydley

If they were built like say the 1994 Truck... It is a pain in the ass... You have to take the Locking Hub apart, in order to remove the large nuts on the spindle that hold the entire hub assembly on.. In order to remove the hub... You have to pull all the nuts off around the hub... and then there are barrel washers that need to be carefully knocked out with an awl, in order to remove the hub.. Plus you need the special LARGE socket to get these nuts off... This is on a 1994 though, and I'm not sure about the Tacomas... I would suggest looking at your service manual... If you don't have one... buy one.. It will tell you what is needed for SST's (Special Service Tools)

Ian

Reply to
EasyE

Your '99 won't give you any problems, its the same style as the other ones you've worked on. Just take off the caliper and you're in.

Reply to
qslim

Taking the rotors off on my '98 was very simple. I also replaced my brake pads when I pulled the assembly apart and thats where I ran into trouble. There are two rods with cotter pins on the ends that the brake pads 'hang' from. These had to be hammered out due to the corrosion, which casued the ends to mushroom and it turned into a headache. Consider getting replacement rods before changing the brake pads.

Reply to
matthew.dunbar

Yes, it was a breeze. The only problem I ran into was I took the wrong bolts out of one of the calipers and lost some brake fluid. I tightened them back up, removed the correct ones, removed and replaced the rotors and pads, and then bled the front brakes when I was done. I also took the 2 rods that go through the pads and calipers and cleaned them up on a wire wheel and greased them before replacing them.

Reply to
Snydley