rebuild/overhaul vs. new motor

I have a 1983 C-10 pickup with a 305, 188K miles. It currently runs okay, but I'm thinking it'll probably need some engine work in the next year or two.

I'm thinking of either having it rebuilt, or putting in a new motor altogether. Obviously, the condition of the existing block, heads, etc., will have an impact on which path might make the most sense.

Can a 305 be bored out to 350 (or 400), or would it be better to just put in a new motor to get the larger displacement?

Can anyone give any ballpark figures on what either approach might cost? I know there and condition-specific variables that will affect this; I'm just trying to get an approximate idea. At what point does a new engine make more sense than the rebuild?

TIA!

Reply to
David Boyer

Avoiding the fact that 305's are JUNK... The cost comparison between a quality rebuild and a new, NEW GM-Goodwrench 2pc rear seal 350...the NEW 350 with factory warranty cant be beat!

A bit over $1400 through summit. Almost everything from your 305 can be used on the 350(though I would suggest an Edelbrock Performer intake and carb and a decent set of headers since its all apart anyway). Don't forget a full ignition tune up(cap, rotor, plugs, wires-I recommend Accel), water pump, fuel pump, thermostat, etc., etc....

Reply to
Shades

Reply to
<ajeeperman

must be this one:

NAL-10067353

Reply to
Rusted

Have you thought at all about making a 383? What do you use the truck for? The 383 will make way more power than the little wimpy 305.

Reply to
Bill

Like some others have said...I would not waste any money on the 305. Buy a Goodrich 350 crate motor to replace your engine. You may have to get a new intake but that would be a minor concern.

Elbert

Reply to
Elbert

I called my local Chevy dealer, and they quoted me $3,500-3,600 for the engine and installation. Is the $1,400 price tag you mentioned just the engine?

Reply to
David Boyer

Correct! If you have to have someone install it, its gonna cost you BIG!!!

Reply to
Shades

That's the one! I just wish I could find a set of good headers to fit my '87 G20 in Summit...

Reply to
Shades

Yes..... Then buy some Goodwrench tires to put on your truck. ;-) H

Reply to
Hairy

looks like i made a spelling error.... maybe you follow what I meant to say / write ..... Goodwrench.

Reply to
Elbert

Wow, I guess so. If I'm content to live with the 305, would an overhaul/rebuild be substantially less $$$? The 350 is a 'want' more than a 'need' ;)

Reply to
David Boyer

Reply to
Shades

Thanks for the insight, I'll check out your suggestions. Whether I put in a new or used 350, it sounds like the majority of the expense is labor. I'll shop around a bit.

Reply to
David Boyer

The last time I rebuilt a 305, I learned that what everyone is saying is true. By the time I bought a crank and bearings, all the gaskets, rings, fluids and my time, I had spent almost 800 dollars. I have seen reman 350 long blocks for around a 1000 to 1200. They take all the same external parts that are on your 305, water pump alternator, powersteering pump, intake, etc. It is totally worth the extra 200 bucks for the better motor. Even if it is a reman. Most of the time they have a small warrentee. While it is not a new GM crate motor that is ideal, it has the benefit of being less expensive. Summit has a long block that is a little more than this, part number NAL-10067353 for 1419.95 then an additional 115 for shipping.

Reply to
Lew Pratt

Where abouts are you? I have a Friend here that is AWESOME at rebuilding engines and could maybe hook you up for a heck of a good price.

Reply to
Shades

Northwest Iowa

Reply to
David Boyer

REALLY??? SO AM I!!! Email me directly would ya?

Reply to
Shades

The 305 does have its problems (big surprise) but after I took the factory carb, intake and exhaust and replaced them with a holley, a dual plane, and flowmaster the truck screams but for how long is another matter. I would suggest the 383 (that's what I am putting in), it is made for trucks, it has great torque, and the ponies are not bad either. The problem with a used, or used rebuild is you would have to probably have to spend as much or more than what the 383 costs, in order to get the same performance.

Reply to
Tom