Second best choice to Tacoma???

If you just didn't feel like paying the over-inflated prices Toyota is charging these days, which compact truck would you consider? Who makes a small 4WD that most resembles the Tacoma in performance and quality?

I remember when Toyota was the best value out there, but now I wonder if keeping the difference in price as a repair fund and getting another brand isn't the better idea.

I once saw a humorous list of car acronyms and Toyota stood for Too Often Yankees Overprice These Autos. I think there's a lot of truth in that these days.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Elkins

I thought Toyota lowered their prices on Tacomas in something like

2000-2001? I know mine was around $18,000 new and I thought it was a lot, but after having it for 5 years it is a bargain. The Tacoma was less than the jeep wrangler which in terms of off road worthiness is the only comparable (sized) vehicle in my biased opinion.

I'd be very leery of Nissans. They are nowhere near as well built or capable as Toyotas - again spoken from having owned several (and watched them go downhill over the last 15 years).

So in that size range what does that leave? Rangers? Maybe Chevy S-10s which I haven't seen offroad since I ran with a guy in an S10 Blazer in

1999. The thing I noticed about them is they have torsion bar susp. (sux) and I remember going through Box Canyon in a tight spot I was spotting and I kept telling him to turn his steering wheel more and he said that it was as far as it went - not very maneuverable?
Reply to
Colon Blow

Run, don't just walk away from S10's. They are not built very well in design or construction. You could not give me another one.

Are Ranger's a good truck?

Reply to
nobody

My truck, a 2003 2.7L, was my only option really if I wanted a 4x4 pickup that was decent on gas and for a good price. I wanted a Tacoma regardless, it just so happened it was the best bang for the buck for me.

Reply to
Brad P

That's Crazy! Would you do that with your auto insurance as well? Settle for a used one. I would rather have a few year old Toyota than a brand new non-Toyota. Piece of mind and safty are priceless.

-PM

Reply to
Patrick Moore

: > Run, don't just walk away from S10's. They are not built very well in : > design or construction. You could not give me another one. : : I second that! After seeing some vids online of how wimpy chevy's 'tough : trucks' are and how easily they break because idiots try and do the things : they see in commercials (like taking a H2 offroading...) I won't even look : at anything GM built.

GM = Generally Mediocre

: : > Are Ranger's a good truck?

Rangers and Hummers seldom are seen offroad

: : Personal thoughts on Nissan: test drove an Xterra, was VERY unpleased with : the quality of fit and finish. Visible unfinished edges on carpeting, and it : was improperly joined together under the seats instead of cutting a single : piece of carpet to fit, squeaks and rattles everywhere, cheap-ass looking : side cladding to make it look beefy (all those plastic trim bits for water : to pool in and cause corrosion... I just was NOT impressed, being spoiled on : Toyota already. I have heard nothing but dismay from any family or friends : who have newer Nissans. :

Well you failed to mention the outstanding layout of the gauges. They are in some type of tunnel that makes them harder than hell to read in the daylight. The Xterra, like the "Frontier" (something that truck will never see) come with Nissan's legendary solid front axle. Now don't everyone drop their panties; by "solid" I mean the SOB doesn't flex at all. It's rigid. Try going over an uneven surface and those wheels will be breaking loose and screaming all the way through

Reply to
Colon Blow

Another term for second place, "The first looser".

Reply to
Dennis

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 21:27:35 -0400, Sean Elkins wrote: Soooooooo would you go out and by a new ford ranger for 20-27,000 vs a tacoma 4x4 with xcab and value pkg look at prices , u may rethink your statement actually the prices are cheaper for a better truck !

Talk about inflated prices ! u need to look at us truck prices comparable and there problem history ..toyota trucks rule i have owend ford trucks driven cheys and have friends w/ dodges there is absolutely no close comparison overall in price long term problem free trucks on the market !

Reply to
entoman43

I bought my '98 2.7L 4x4 with 24K miles in '00. I just turned 84K miles on it. Other then replacing the tranny and x-fer fluids, and regular oil changes, nothing major has gone wrong. Oh, A/C-heater blower flew apart. I replaced it last summer with a used one from an older model (blows a bit less, but works fine). Replaced the front discs' pads yesterday (easy as pie, my friend showed me one, I did the other, and we were done in 40 mins, including pulling out and putting away tools). I let the oil change interval go to about 6K miles twice (on synthetic), and it was half a quart low (normal? should I be checking it more often now?), but not problems yet. From the comments people have been making, I am glad I did not go with a Nissan for the perceived price savings.

Reply to
zach

I think the biggest question is how long do you wish to keep this vehicle....

If you only want to keep it for 3 to 5 years and trade it in.... then any make/model will suit you well. If you want to keep it as long as possible after paying it off....then its a no-brainer, toyota all the way.

The price difference really isn't that big anymore IMO, at least for new vehicles. Used is a whole different story, mainly based on depreciation, and toyota holds their value better than the rest too. I think toyota is still the best value out there, even if they are the most expensive. A few grand is a small price to pay for what you will have in the long-run. A few grand in your 'repair fund' will cover a new dodge transmission after 70k, if the first one lasts that long anyway... and won't leave much left over after that.

Reply to
dave89144