Source for 1990 4Runner Dimmer Switch

Hello,

I posted a while back about a problem that I've been having with my headlights that I still haven't been able to resolve. My low-beam lights no longer come on. After searching the web and reading numerous forums for troubleshooting tips, I'm about ready to conclude that I need to replace the "dimmer switch". This is the set of contacts that are located underneath the turn signal assembly and held in place by 4 screws. Apparently, they control the vehicle's high & low beam headlights.

To add a little bit of confusion to the mix the vehicle is also equipped with a set of TruckLite plow lights. I've been in touch with their tech support people and in the process have replaced the toggle switch that switches between the vehicle and plow lights. I've also replaced all of the connectors that go to it.

I have even tried "cleaning" the contacts, as was indicated in one of the forums, to no avail. The bottom line is that I no longer have any plow lights and it now appears that when I turn on my headlights, I only get the high-beams instead of the low-beams, regardless of the lever's position. When I move the lever, I can see the lights flicker, but I'm pretty certain that only the high-beam lights are working. One other point to note is that the blue high-beam indicator doesn't come on, except for on a few occasions after I've worked on it, only to fool me into thinking that what I've done has indeed fixed the trouble.

What I am looking for is a source, other than a Toyota dealer, where I may be able to purchase a new dimmer switch. I've tried a couple of salvage yards without any success. Then again, there's always the possibility that anything that I might get from one of those may be as bad as the one I currently have, if not worse.

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis