Dimmer switch behavior

On my '83 GT, when I have the lights on high, I have just the 2 high beam headlights on. This is unlike any car I have ever owned, which all had all

4 headlights on when on high beams.

When I pull the stick back to lower the headlights, the low beams come on momentarily, which makes the headlights flash brighter. I've had oncoming cars flash their lights at me after I lowered my headlights to low beam, like they thoght I was flashing my highs at them.

Is this normal behavior for this model? My 1980 Capri does not do this.

Reply to
elaich

Nope, that's definitely not normal. The outer lamps are dual filament (high/low), and the inner lamps are single filament (high only). When you turn on the high beams, you're right: all four lamps should be on.

When you hold the stalk back, it temporarily turns on both the high beams and the low beams.

If the outer high beams are not turning on in the normal high beam mode, but they do turn on when you pull back on the stalk, I'm guessing that something is wrong in the multi-function switch on the steering column. They tend to go bad after about 20+ years.

I can't seem to find my shop manual at the moment, or I'd trace back the wiring diagram and confirm the diagnosis. :)

Reply to
Garth Almgren