squeaky leaf springs

Hi gang...the leafsprings on my '93 4WD ec pickup recently started to squeak real bad. Is there anything I can do short of replacing them? Thanks!

Reply to
BTF

Liberally douse with WD-40 or some other penetrating lubricant. I'm sure some one else from this group will supply the equally better part. Meanwhile, wd-40.

Reply to
Brad Taylor

... except that WD40 isn't a lubricant, and you'll want to keep it off of the rubber parts in any case.

Assuming (danger! danger!) that the squeaks are not caused by a broken leaf or damaged bushings, you can use a spray lubricant with graphite. The makers of Liquid Wench make a relatively inexpensive one.

Got a Tacoma? Join spam free

a Corolla? Join spam free
Mike Harris Austin, Texas

Reply to
Mike Harris

I know there have been gobs of discussion on WD-40 here. Okay, so it's not a lubricant as lubricants go, but I've used it on the bottom of my truck for ages (20+ years) with no apparent harm to rubber or synthetic parts. In other words, I haven't had to replace them. It works great on squeaky things, but isn't a permanent solution. Give the fellow a name brand item to go buy, instead of making him read every bottle on the shelf. I know somebody here knows. Don't be so quick to shoot down ideas.

Reply to
Brad Taylor

It's certainly cheap and easy - I've used it for a long time too on rubber parts.

Reply to
Robert

Okay, Brad. I did in fact name a brand but here's a link to what I was referring to:

I didn't mention anything more specific as there are many products on the market, and maybe on the shelf in BTF's garage, which will perform the same function without him having to go out and look for that particular can. And also because if I had mentioned something more specific some knucklehead would have flamed me saying that many other products work just as well blah blah blah....

You say the WD "works great on squeaky things, but isn't a permanent solution" - exactly my point. Not to say that it's not great stuff. It's got a jillion uses (just visit their web site), and doubtless does a fine job protecting your truck from cancer, but it makes for a poor lubricant.

Lastly, WD *is* hard on rubber parts, although not in a "melt them like the Toxic Avenger" fashion. It will dissolve plasticizers added to "rubber" lines, insulation on electrical wiring etc and make them more brittle over time.

BTF is free to use any damn thing he pleases on his leaf springs, but if someone suggests a less-than-appropriate solution I'll certainly "shoot it down" or at least toss in my opinion on why it's not the best solution. I'd expect nothing less were I the one posing the question.

Got a Tacoma? Join spam free

a Corolla? Join spam free
Mike Harris Austin, Texas

Reply to