Timing belt on T100 V6?

I am getting conflicting stories about the timing belt on my 1996 T100 , SR5 with V6 Auto.

1) If the belt snaps it will result in major damage to the engine but the manual that I have states "Toyota trucks do not have interference engines; where damage will occur if the belt snaps?

2) I have also been told that this engine has some sort of plate/or? that can be removed to allow inspection of the belt without replacement?

Can anyone clarify these issues for me? Thanks

Reply to
BOB

If it has never been changed, it is overdue. Interferance of not, you do not want to wait for it to snap and leave you stranded and then have to retime everything. It is easier to cahnge while it is still intact. Also, automatics are harder on timing belts because of sudden RPM changes when shifting. It is not unsually for a worn out one to snap durring a firm gear change.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

In message

the 3.4 v6 will not suffer any damage - it is NOT an interference engine.

Reply to
Robert

I'm not sure that is true. Yes, it's incrementally easier, I suppose. But getting the motor back to TDC and the cams set to the right spot is easy. All of this stuff has marks on it, and one merely aligns the marks after making sure the crank is in the right spot.

I agree that walking home is a pain, but the motor will not self-destruct if the timing belt breaks -- which was the original question.

Also, automatics are harder on timing belts because of sudden

Reply to
Jeff Strickland