steering pulls and shimmys

I have a 93 T100. when I engage it in 4wd, the front end pulls, jerks and shimmys. I have replaced the idler arm which seemed to have a worn joint, but it still does it. Any thoughts anyone. I don't know if the all the other joints are worn also, or if I'm just hitting the crack pipe too much?

Reply to
Will S.

What sort of surdface are you on when engaging 4WD? If its on a high traction surfavce (like wet or dry pavement) then you may be feeling normal drivetrain binding (its not a good idea to engage part-time 4WD on high traction surfaces). You might also check the front CV joints and make sure they are not wearing out and binding. Are the tires all the same size and brand? If not, that may also be a problem, as there can be actual height differences between different makes of tires, even if they are marked the same size.

-- Roger

Reply to
Roger Brown

surface is snow, wet, ice, etc... I know I have a broken CV boot, but the joint isn't clicking or anything yet. I've had the truck 3 years and this is the first I've felt it. I didn't put it in 4 wd all summer. Tires are all good, same size, brand, etc... whole new set bought at the same time. Any other thoughts? Thanks for your input, any is more than I had before. I think I'll take another look see at the CV joint anyway just to check that again.

Reply to
Will S.

Its recommended in the Owner's Manual to either engage 4WD or lock the front hubs and drive approx. 10 miles / month to keep the front driveline parts moving freely and to keep them lubricated. Maybe have someone drive the truck slowly in 4WD as you observe the front end, make sure the CV axles are turning smoothly and that the front driveshaft is also turning smooth. You might check the driveshaft for play in the u-joint, slip yoke and CV and give them all a shot of grease if its been a while.

You may also just be feeling the various tires slipping a grabbing on the slick surface. With stock 4WD, you can have one tire on each axle slipping.

-- Roger

Reply to
Roger Brown