Grand Cherokee Steering problem

Grand Cherokke 2.7 CRD 2004 (59K)

I've developed a problem with my streering. I have loads of resistance when turning, quite hard left (but not right)

I jacked the car up to find that the Near side CV joint gaitor has been leaking grease, heavily. With the front end up, the steering is ok.

My first thoughts are that the CV joint has worn due to inadequate lubrication, but I'm not convinced that this would cause reistance in the steering. Maybe it is just coincidence and I've anothe problem?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Bruno

Reply to
Bruno

Well it can create some, but it's normally noisy with it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I guess it could be a fault in the valve chamber that controls the flow of oil from the pump. If the flow to one end of the rack or steering box is restricted, it would only affect the power assistance in one direction. It's highly unlikely that a worn CV joint could cause the problem. No power assistance is required to turn the steering with the front end jacked up, which would support my guess. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Thanks for your reply Mike

I am getting a hissing sound from the power steering when turning left. This also supports your guess. I now have something to work on.

Thanks again Mike

Bruno

Reply to
Bruno

Hissing type noises are quite common if you turn the steering to the stop and hold it there - it's a sort of pressure relief valve operating.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unfortunately if I am right, it probably means a new or recon s/b, as servicing a p/s valve chamber is not a DIY job. The hissing sound, as Dave has pointed out, comes from the pump. A pressure relief valve opens at a preset pressure. Quite normal if the power assistance is overridden. Either at full lock, or if the front wheels are prevented from turning. In your case however, it appears to be because the oil can't flow to one side of the p/s system. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I've no experience of the Cherokee, but my fathers Discovery many years ago had issues with severe steering wander which it turned out was caused by a sticking UJ in the steering column. Maybe worth checking to see if this could be something similar?

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
marpate1

I've no experience of the Cherokee, but my fathers Discovery many years ago had issues with severe steering wander which it turned out was caused by a sticking UJ in the steering column. Maybe worth checking to see if this could be something similar? ________________________________________________________

I think if that were the fault it would have shown itself when the steering was turned with the front jacked up. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G