Tacoma Tire Pressure

What's an ideal tire pressure for suburban commute driving in an area with no snow? My stock '06 Tacoma's tires have a maximum P.S.I. of

51, while the Tacoma dealership mechanic says they fill all the Tacomas to 30. I usually inflated my previous vehicles to 35. Is there a sweet spot for Tacoma tire pressure?
Reply to
fleemo17

Use the tire pressure recommended by Toyota. Look at the label on the side of the driver door. Forget what the tire max PSI says. Check the spare too.

Reply to
Phisherman

This has been posted on here before. The consensus on it at least one of the times it was asked was to inflate ( or deflate) until the tread has full contact. One way to tell this is to drive in a straight line across some wet pavement. Then look at the tire contact the wet pavement. Another method used was to put chalk marks across the tread and drive in a straight line and check for even wear of the chalk. Here is a site on tires:

down to the pressure heading. here is a link to a Tacoma forum:
You may be able to find more info there.Or, if you register you may post there for free. FWIW I am running 36 front and 34 rear on my '99 Tacoma with the tires I have on it now, with no load in the rear, in order to get proper tread contact. This is different than I ran in the previous tires.

Reply to
Anyolmouse

Fill the tires to the pressure indicated on the sticker inside the driver side door.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks for the responses!

Reply to
fleemo17

If they are the stock size and load rating tires as OEM, use the recommendations on the doorpost or glove box sticker.

If the tires have been changed from stock or the vehicle is loaded differently (camper on permanently), go get a copy of the Load & Pressure chart for those tires (out of the tire maker's catalogs) from the tire dealer.

Get the axle weights or wheel weights at a truck scale - if it isn't a "Certified Weight" most will do it for free or real cheap.

Or load the truck up with "stuff" for recycling, and get the wheel weights off the Recycling Center truck scale on your way out. You get the weights, and you even get paid (for the stuff you recycled).

Once you have the wheel weights and the printed L&P chart, it's easy to see what the real proper pressure is.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman