06 tacoma tire pressure sensors

HELLO FELLOW TOYOTA OWNERS.JUST BOUGHT AN 06 TACOMA 4X4 ,4 LITTER,4 DOOR AND I ALREADY HAVE A QUESTION.MY DILEMA IS THIS: I BOUGHT THE MODEL WITH THE STEEL WHEELS,BECAUSE I HAVE BRAND NEW 2003 TACOMA ALLOYS TO PUT ON THE ONE THING I DIDN'T COUNT ON WERE THE AIR PRESSURE SENSORS IN THE 2006 RIMS.THE DEALERSHIP MECHANIC TELLS ME THAT THE SENSORS CANNOT BE INSTALLED ON THE 2003 WHEELS AND THIS BEING MASSACHUSETTS ,THE TRUCK WILL NOT PASS SAFETY ANNUAL INSPECTION WITH A WARNING LIGHT ON THE DASH.DISABLING THE LIGHT WILL STILL GIVE YOU A TROUBLE CODE.DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE'S A WAY TO REMOVE THE SENSORS FROM THE WHEEL ,AND SOMEHOW BYPASS THEM OR TRICK THEM INTO THINKING THEY'RE INSIDE PRESSURIZED TIRES? ANY HELP OR IDEAS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.THANKS GUYS!

Reply to
summitgmc

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:57:23 -0400, "summitgmc" found these unused words floating about:

dunno ... can't hear you for all the SHOUTING!

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

One, Please turn the ALLCAPS key off.

I can't think of any reason why you couldn't use the 03 rims on your 06. The tire pressure system doesn't inflate the tires, does it?

The tire pressure systems that I am aware of simply alert you to a low tire pressure, and this happens because the ABS Wheel Speed Sensors detect that one tire is rotating at a different speed than the others, and this difference is assumed to be the result of air pressure, so the Low Pressure light is turned on.

If your Tacoma actually has a compressor that can fill the tires on the fly, then you'd need special wheels to fit the system. But, if all you get is a warning that a tire is low, then you can use any tires and rims, BUT they all have to be the same size.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The Tacoma tire pressure system involves tire stems that transmit a signal that corresponds to tire pressure to the system. To the OP: I assume that you have pressed the tire pressure reset button with your new wheels.

Reply to
M.Paul

... where is that reset button? My light came on when I had the truck serviced for it's first oil change... The dealer said that he thinks that spare might be low and that is why it is on.... The 4 tires on the ground are fine.

as for permanently disabling.... one method is listed here...

mod requires MAJOR surgery to disconnect that stupidlight... there has to be a better way.... it is an optionthough. ;)

jack

Reply to
Jack Snodgrass

The direct tire pressure monitoring system does not have a reset button.

qslim