Thinking of Buying..

Hello all,

I'm thinking of purchasing a 1987 Toyota 4Runner 2.4L w/ 160,000 miles. The truck runs good, but does have a few problems. The valve cover gasket needs replacing and it has an exhaust leak, but other than those 2 problems the rest of the problems are cosmetic. How hard is it to replace that gasket? Also where would be a good place to get replacement bumpers and a new grill? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks! Conrad

Reply to
<rlbclb

I'd also check for a blown head gasket as that was a fairly common item on the Runners of that era. Maybe the relays for the rear window lift as well.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

Something that old and in that condition - I'd pass unless they practically gave it to you.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

practically

Reply to
<rlbclb

Ask when the last time the timing chain was changed. This is something you need to know, or you may end up with bent valves at the very least. This engine has a single-row timing chain which needs to be replaced at around

90000 miles or sooner (i'd do it sooner). If it's been done once already, then you're looking at doing it again soon. If it's not been done, then it needs immediate attention. Compared to the timing chain, the valve cover gasket is a cakewalk.

As for the exhaust leak, could be simple, could be a cracked manifold.

Reply to
Celica Dude

Well, Looks like the deal fell through. The guy wanted $2500.00 for the truck. I had to laugh when he said that price. Haha.. I'm still looking for a 4Runner or an Extended Cab pickup 4x4. They seem to be pretty scarce right now. I just got done talking to another person about a 1986 4Runner w/

197,000 miles. He wants $2000 for it. I haven't seen it yet but he says it has a 3in lift kit, the interior and paint are in great shape and the 4x4 works perfectly. He says the water pump needs replacing, but everything else is fine on it. He said he'd also throw in another engine for it for $300 more. I'm going to look at it this weekend.

Conrad!

Reply to
<rlbclb