Buying a Cherokee... problems?

Hi all, I am considering the purchase of a 1997 Cherokee 4x4 with the 4.0 inline 6. The vehicle has 55,000 miles and looks like it's in good condition with three caveats: 1) The valve cover gasket appears to be leaking very slightly. 2) The auto transmission pan gasket appears to be leaking slightly. 3) The A/C needs to be recharged.

These are not items that I would typically exepect to see on a vehicle with only 55,000 miles. Any thoughts? Are these red flags? Does anybody know of past problems similar to these?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Matt H

typical from a 8 year old vehicle with low mileage...Nothing is major

Reply to
IsellJeeps

A month ago I bought a 96 with 140K miles on the clock. A little oil on the valve cover might just mean oil spilled when adding/changing oil. My transmission pan gasket was not leaking though. It was put on using RTV sealer and no gasket. It may be some one changed the filter and replaced the gasket using a cork replacement as I did. The AC might just be low on r134a but may have a possible serious leak though. These are not red flags and can be typicle for a 8 year old car. Just buy (read don't pay too much) accordingly/ Mine was $3000, has power this that and the other and is in good shape other then needing a good cleaning and the miles. I saw the identical car at another dealer for $6000! Also your exhaust manifold is subject to cracking as all 91-99 I6 ones are. But a Banks stainless steel header will fix that just fine! A added benefit is more low end power and smoother running.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Before I bought my 92 Cherokee Laredo, I test drove at least 4 97 and newer cherokee. I feel like they are not as good as old models, just personal opinion, from the handling, interio noise, door seal,etc. I don't really concern about the mileage, mine had almost 300K kilometer when I bought, I have put 20k on it, and find the engine is strong, doesn't burn oil. I would prefer a high mileage with lots of highway driving to a low mileage senior vehicle.

Reply to
Herb

Matt H proclaimed:

Common. Even more common is for someone to mistake it for a rear main seal leak. New valve cover and gasket takes care of it. Leak often caused by someone overtightening the factory plastic cover, or worse, installing a poorly made aluminum one with a crappy gasket.

Replace it. And since you don't know the history, might as well replace the transmission fluid, etc.

Behind the compressor is the condensor... some units have had issues with rust. Really shouldn't be low on fluid on a vehicle that new...a good A/C shop should be able to check it and give you a repair cost.

Reply to
Lon

Thanks for the feedback Jo Bo. I'll shop accordingly and definately look into that header when it's time to replace the manifold!

Reply to
Matt H