Distributor Problems....

Hi i have a 4WD 88 toyota pickup. I am hearing a rattling sound from my dirtibutor (at least its close to there).

It makes a constant rattling sound as soon as i start my truck. I can only hear it when im outside my truck. But when im drving i can hear it when i accelerate or maintaining constant speed. Not when i deccelaerating or am in neutral.

I thinkits my distributor or possibly one of my belts(timing maybe?) I replaced my distr. cap and rotor and still no fix. A friend doesnt think its my distributor cuz he took my cap off and had me crank it once. HE said that the distributor looked fine.

So im not sure? Any tips or tricks i use to help me find the source of the problem?

Reply to
pop.midco.net

If you think it is the distributor, pull it and check the o-ring. I pulled mine recently and it was as flat as a pancake. No rattle - but, it definitely needed to be replaced.

Pulling the distributor is easy. Just set the motor at TDC; make sure the rotor button is pointing at the connection to the wiring harness (if 180° off, rotate crankshaft one more time); make sure the mark between the distributor and head are aligned; remove the bolt and slide the distributor out.

Actually, you shouldn't really even have to pull the distributor. Just grab it and see if you can wiggle it back and forth and make it rattle. I kind of doubt if it is the distributor, anyway.

I assume you are talking about the 3VZ-E because you said 'belt' and the

22R-E has a chain. If so, there are two idler bearings that the timing belt runs over on that motor. The do go bad eventually - I suppose they could rattle if the bearings have fallen out or the tension spring could have broken and the lever it attaches to could be flapping around. Can't think of anything else in there that might be banging around but it sounds like something that needs to be checked out to me.

Luther

Reply to
Luther

Sounds to me like you have the 22R or RE motor and your timing chain is worn out. You will start hearing a dragging noise in the timing cover from the chain which will increase in noise with the speed of the engine. What is actually happening is either the chain is chewing up the chain guide on the driver's side (if you're lucky) or the chain guide on the driver's side of the engine has broken and the chain is eating the timing cover. The easiest way to tell if you have a slack timing chain is to take the distributor cap off the distributor, put a socket wrench on the crankshaft pulley (probably 19mm) and turn the engine clockwise (facing the front of the engine). After you see the distributor move a fair amount (say 90 degrees), stop, reverse your ratchet, and crank the engine counter-clockwise. If you are able to turn the crankshaft a good amount before the distributor turns, then your chain is worn out. The later 22R motors had a single-row timing chain which should be replaced IMHO after no more than 90,000 miles. I've seen them with 200,000 miles on them, but also with bent valves from the slack chain.

Does your truck backfire in the exhaust when you let off the gas while coasting? That's another sign of a worn chain.

Reply to
Celica Dude