Tire Wear on 2002 Tacoma

Hey Group, I have a 2002 Tacoma with the 255 BF's and about 20000 miles. The front tires are nearly bald. Doesn't sound right to me. What does the group think? What experiences/tire recommendations do you have. Snow is about 3 months away. I don't do any off road. Just lugging gear and crap like that. Thanks in advance. I got a tip to this group from a friend of mine.

Ebby

Reply to
Ebby

How many times have you had the tires rotated??

Brewster

Reply to
Brewster

I've got nearly 43k on my (2wd) '00 Prerunner and still have the 265 Goodyear RT/S OEMs going strong. Like you, I don't offroad. I might have another 10k or more left in these skins.

I rotate/balance them frequently.

Stew

Reply to
S.Lewis

Ebby, 20K and still looks like brand new Bridgestones (265/70-16). Rotate and Balance very 5K, and check the tire pressure EVERY Sunday. Mike

Reply to
Mike the Cop

The tires have been rotated a total of four times. The last time they were rotated we adjuste the pressure upward as most of the wear was on the outside edges of the tread pattern. Now the front tires are right down to the tread wear indicators, so those babies are shot. The rear tires still have some tread but bad wear on the outside edge. We have been running 30 psi. I didn't see a recommend in the manual. What is the correct pressure for those 255 x 70 BFGoods? Another thing I noticed is when driving straight down the road, the steering wheel was not indicating straight. I had that taken care of. My gut feeling is the caster,camber and toe is monkied up and I have been running on the wrong pressure.

Reply to
Ebby

Correct PSI should be on the side of the tires, 'max load cold'. Might be hard to read, but take a look anyway. If they are balding more at the edges and not at the center, they are under-inflated. If you aren't carrying loads around, you don't need it inflated to the max, but not too far under it (mine are max 50, we keep them between 45-48psi.) Too far under, and the sidewalls will wear out, or as you're noticing, they'll go bald unevenly. Underinflated tires will likely also cause some instability while driving.

The BFGoodrich is a good tire, we've got the All Terrain TA/KO's on my

4Runner and their Radial T/A's on hubby's Merc Mystique. No trouble for us so far with the proper psi.

Dee

Reply to
Pookerz