Any comments on Michelin tires?

Hey all, Posted to this group a short time ago about tires for a '98 GT Convert. I got back some great responses and great advice. Thanks to all who responded. Some folks responded and wanted more information on what the deal was with my current tires, so here it is for everyone - if you are interested.

The last set of tires I bought were Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra Plus in a

245/45ZR17 size. For my taste they had a little too much grab on dry pavement, not enough on wet or snow. They had some road noise that I expected based on the kind of performance tire that it is - so that was okay and understood. The car sits around a little bit but not so much that the tires should start to get choppy after only 5K miles or so (that's 8 or 9 months of driving for me). Of course, that increased the road noise and added a grinding sound to boot. Having a convert - that's not an acceptable level of noise. Wondering if it was something else mechanical. The balance and alignment were rechecked and were fine. I had the dealer put it up on a hoist and run the wheels to eliminate the tire noise as a factor. It was relatively quiet up there in the air, so that pretty much proved it was the tires and not the brakes or other various parts that could have been causing the new sounds.

That said, currently looking at purchasing the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in a

245/45ZR17. Ratings seem pretty good for most things including low noise when compared to others in the category. It has a Y rating for speed, so I guess I'll have to slow down to under 150 MPH (especially in the parking lots . . . ha.). Anybody with good or bad experiences on these tires, I'd love to hear them.

Just so you know, I'm not ripping on Goodyear. I've had them on other cars and have always been satisfied. But based on recent performance on this type of car, I just can't afford to buy them again and take that chance. Later.

Reply to
Nuke

"Nuke" wrote in news:VWgLc.31694$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com:

At the moment I have Pilots on my LX (they're on 15" turbine rims) and I think they suck. I got all 4 mounted and balanced on the turbines for two of my original ponies (one was even bent) with bald tires. Couldn't pass it up.

To me, the Pilots are just like any other passenger car tire, nothing special. To be fair, I've got the XGT H4 M+S tires, 225/60x15 front and 235/60x15 rear. But they don't feel anywhere near as good as the original Gatorbacks or the Firehawks I used to have.

Joe

I have Pilot Sports on my S281 - 265-45-18 front, 295-35-18 rear and absolutely love them....pricey tho....

Mark

2000 S281
Reply to
Mark Foreman

Another thumbs up here. I have 275/18 front, 295/18 rear Pilot Sports and they are fantastic on dry and wet. Better than either the stock F1's or the Nitto 555 Extremes I had before.

Reply to
Dan

I use to buy nothing but Michelin tires, but due to budget difficulties, I replaced the Goodyears on my 2002 Convertible with (gasp) Hankook tires. They were half the price of the Michelins, and so far (I've got 5K on them now) I haven't had any problems with them - I'll go as far as to say that they are superior in handling to the Goodyears.

Reply to
Ralph Snart