Toyota Detonating

Hi all, I need some input on a problem, I have a 2000 Tacoma Pre-runner x-tra cab v-6 , with all options. I bought it new six years ago here in Phoenix. It has been a great , trouble free truck. The truck now has 64,000 miles I have always done most of the service myself. It gets oil and filter every

5000, trans serv every 15000 and plugs every 35000. And air and fuel filter every 20000 and I get all of my parts at the dealer. Yesterday morning I had an appointment downtown. When I entered the expressway to come home I accelerated up to 60 or so . I went under a bridge and started up a slight incline and the engine started to detonate really hard, I let up on the throttle and the noise went away. As sonn as i touched the throttle again the rattle started again. The truck has never done anything like this before. I took it to my dealer. They check timing and it was perfect. I had the timing belt changeed there 4000 miles ago. He says carbon build-up in cylinders, I'm skeptical. I have always used name brand fuel like Chevron, Texaco or Shell. But the last few tanks I bought at Costco because they were a little cheaper. Has anyone ever had a carbon problem that was cured by the dealers $139.00 de-carbon treatment. I am going to run this fuel out and go back to a name brand station. I would appreciate any input on this. Scott
Reply to
zonie

If it's relatively drivable, I'd run out the tank and try some Techron, or fuel containing same (Chevron? Shell?).

Are you sure it was detonating, or was it simply bucking and losing power. If it's the latter, you may have simply picked up a bad load of gas and clogged the fuel filter.

Reply to
Bonehenge

Or that it has lost its tolerance for 87 octane fuel whch is realy too low to begin with for most modern engines. Octane requirement is not constant and it increases with tempature and load. You might check to see if it has a kcock sensor that has failed (a lot of vehicle have one and retard spark (and performance and MPG too) when it hears a knock before you hear it

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Thanks for the input Dwight . It is definitly detonating, sounds awful. I am going to run this tank out and try some different fuel. It has just turned hot here in Phoenix (over 100) but the truck has always lived here and has never done this before. I did some checking and found the knock sensors are under the intake manifold , the dealer says if they were bad the check engine light would be on. When I put the different fuel in I will report on what takes place. Scott

Reply to
zonie

Even if it's detonating, he could have picked up a bad load of fuel.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You can also try octane booster. Or, let the tank drop to about the half way mark, and top it off with premium, then go back to the regular when that is gone.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Cheaper to use better gas than octane booster

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

In the long run, that is definitely true.

But, he bought a load of crappy gas and needs to recover. Obviously, he thought he was buying good gas -- he went to Costco -- but you need to understand he is in Arizona, and they can get gas from pretty much anywhere. I have never bought bad gas, except once when I was in Arizona. I'm not suggesting that all gas in Arizona is bad, I'm only suggesting that the odds that he got a load of bad gas is within the bounds of reason. Octane booster is among the recovery options. It's also a valid test. If the octane booster makes the problem go away, then he can be reasonably sure there is no problem with his truck.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You might want to try some Chevron injector cleaner and some Auto Rx. which is available at autorx.com. That should clean up any carbon build up. Good Luck... =B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0= =B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0=B0

AS IN LIFE, IT'S THE JOURNEY, NOT THE DESTINATION THAT'S IMPORTANT.

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN

Carbon built up in the combustion chamber glows red hot and causes ignition before the spark fires. If you have this, there are a few combustion chamber cleaning products that work well. Try Chevron Techron Concentrate, BG 44K, Red Line Fuel System Cleaner, or Seafoam.

"# I have seen the black bottle of Techron® Concentrate in Chevron service stations. What is the difference between Techron® and Techron® Concentrate?

"The principal difference between Techron® and Techron® Concentrate is additive concentration and rate of deposit clean-up. At the concentration present in Chevron gasolines, Techron® over many tankfuls will help clean up deposits on intake valves without contributing to combustion chamber deposits. So, over time, Chevron gasolines with Techron® are able to reduce or eliminate deposit-related hesitation and stumbling during acceleration caused by deposits. A bottle of Techron® Concentrate, when added to gasoline according to the label instructions, results in an additive concentration roughly 10 times stronger than the dose in our gasolines. This mega-dose of Techron® provides a much quicker clean up of intake valve deposits left by lower quality gasolines. In addition, the high concentration of Techron® reduces combustion chamber deposits, which can help reduce or eliminate deposit-related engine knock and run-on."

If you use the Seafoam in the process where you suck it slowly into the engine through a vacuum hose, do it at night. It'll smoke like mad, but it'll do a very good job.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Not exactlly. Will it can stay a little hot it is not red hot and the carbon increases the effective CR of engine and make it more prone to detenate with low octane fuel.

SnoMan