Trailer Size

I have a 1999, Extended Cab, 4x4 V6 tacoma with a class 3 trailer hitch. Assuming weight is not a problem ( my cargo is light ). What is the largest size trailer that can reasonable be pulled with my vehicle. I am looking at 6x12 or 7x16 foot trailers ideally. Would trailers of this width / length cause problems? Single or double axel? Sway control needed? (My owners manual recommends AGAINST a load leveling hitch.)

Please let me know your thoughts

Reply to
jwill

jwill found these unused words:

6x12 might be single axle, but will carry less than a 6x10 in weight.

I would expect the 7x16 to be double. You'll probably need to have braking controller for it as well.

I tow both a 6x10 Cargo and a 7x16 camper with a Tacoma DC 4x4 6cyl. on a Class 3+

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

Size is only a limitation for the roads. Narrow lanes will dictate the size of your trailer. Having said that, larger trailers are heavier. It is possible that an empty trailer could exceed the capabilities of your truck.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Just in case what Sir correctly noted is confusing...

Trailer axle and wheel combinations are rated for total weight, commonly ~3500 pounds for axles with 15" wheels and radial tires. Since the 6x12 is two feet longer than the 6x10, the weight of the extra materials (frame, sheathing, flooring...) to construct the longer trailer will be subtracted from the cargo capacity of the trailer, still equaling the same limit of the axle. The gross weight of both sizes will be the same, the extra capacity can be noted by comparing empty weights.

Quite often, Xx10 and Xx12 trailers use identical running gear.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)