Tow Vehicle Question

Looking for some suggestions on leveling out the ride of my 2001 Silverado C1500 X-cab when towing our Pop-up camper. The truck naturally sits a bit higher in the rear when unloaded. After loading up the bed with camping gear and hooking up the 3500lb trailer, the truck sits down to level (front to back) or even a bit low in the back. Not a big deal (well within the capacity of the truck), but it's enough to always point the headlights a bit higher and change the driving characteristics a bit. Thought about putting air shocks on the rear of the truck so I could easily adjust the height depending on whether the truck is loaded or not. Although, I've heard a few arguments against air shocks.

Any thoughts??

Wally Korzenieski

Reply to
Wally Korzenieski

I would recommend air helper springs like the firestone loadrite or similar if you have the extra $$$. IMHO the ride with air shocks suck, not to mention that is alot of weight on 2 shock mounts.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Lichty

I had the same problem with my 04 Chevy 4X4. I added an Air Lift kit to it with the in cab adjustment system, and it works great. No more oncoming cars flashing there light at me at night because the head lights are pointing up in the air. It took me about 2 hours to install the air bags and another 2 to put the in cab adjustment system in. The in cab system is nothing more than a small air compressor that mounts under the truck and a gage and switch that mount in the cab. They need a minimum of 5psi when there is no weight on the truck. I can't tell that there even there when unloaded. Nothing looks worse then a truck with its rear lower than the front. Hope this helps out.

Reply to
me

First make sure you don't have too much weight on the hitch.

here are excerpts from

Balance

Before you tow a trailer, evaluate trailer weight distribution. Hitch weights for travel trailers should typically be at least 10 percent of gross weight of the trailer for acceptable handling. In some cases it can go to 15 percent or higher. Hitch weight for larger trailers is limited by the capacities of tow vehicles and hitches. The strongest load-distributing hitch is rated for a maximum hitch weight of 1200 pounds. Most passenger car suspensions cannot handle that much weight and the trailer should be towed with a pickup truck or van. Improper weight distribution can cause the trailer to fishtail (sway back and forth across the lane).

Hitch Adjustment

If your hitch weight is less than 10 percent of the gross trailer weight, you can compensate for some of this by loading heavy sup plies such as tools and canned goods as far forward as possible. If your trailer's water tank is behind the axle(s), travel with as little water in the tank as possible to reduce weight in the rear. Trailers with water tanks located in front usually handle best when the tanks are full, because the water adds to hitch weight.

Be sure that the spring bars of the load distributing hitch are rated high enough to handle the hitch weight of your trailer, plus a safety margin of at least 10 percent. Check for adequate rear suspension of the tow vehicle. This means that the vehicle sits relatively level prior to hitching the trailer.

Load-distributing hitches are designed to distribute the hitch weight relatively evenly to all axles of the tow vehicle and trailer. The tow vehicle and trailer should be in a level position (attitude) in order for the hitch to do its job properly. Here is how to check:

1.. With the tow vehicle loaded for a trip, measure the distance between the vehicle and the ground at reference points, which you can establish, in front and rear. Keep the figures handy for later use. 2.. Hitch the trailer and adjust the tension on the spring bars so the tow vehicle remains at roughly the same attitude (i.e., if the rear drops an inch after hitching, the front should also drop an inch). 3.. Inspect the trailer to be sure it is level. If not, hitch ball height should be raised or lowered, as necessary. You may need spring bars rated for more weight if you cannot keep the tow vehicle from sagging in the rear. Safety chains are required for travel trailers. Safety chains are not required for fifth-wheel trailers. The purpose of safety chains is to prevent the trailer from separating from the tow vehicle in event of hitch failure such as a hitch ball that has loosened. The chains should be crossed in an "X" fashion below the ball mount, with enough slack that they do not restrict turning or allow the coupler to hit the ground.

Breakaway switches are also required for any trailer having a gross weight of 1500 lbs. or more and manufactured after December 31, 1955. They are designed to activate trailer brakes if the tow vehicle becomes separated from the trailer. One end of the breakaway switch is attached to an electrical switch on the trailer frame and the other end is looped around a stationary hitch component on the tow vehicle. If the two vehicles become separated, the cable pulls a pin inside the breakaway switch and applies full power from the trailer battery to the trailer brakes.

Even though hitch component failure is rare, the breakaway switch and the safety chains must be in good working order.

For motorcycle trailers, you should consider a trailer designed for motorcycles because auto trailer tongue weights are too heavy. A trailer with a good aerodynamic design will enhance handling and performance. You also want a low center of gravity.

The tongue length on the trailer is generally twice the trailer wheel width but no more than 6 feet from the axle to the end of the tongue. Good design will allow for good sway control. If the tongue is too short, the trailer will sway and if too long, the trailer will be slug gish and cut corners when turning.

The hitch on the motorcycle trailer should be on the same plane as the rear axle on the motorcycle or slightly below. This will help prevent the trailer from pushing up on the rear end when braking. Also, the hitch should be as close to the rear tire as possible to provide a more solid support without interfering with the tire. Anchor the hitch so that two mounts are on each side. One of the two mounts on either side should resist a downward force and one of the two mounts on the other side should resist the rearward pull.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge